Cleaning It Up

As they pulled into Muder's driveway, they saw that police were over on Scully's front door.

Scully turned to Mulder, "hold on." Mulder gave her a nod and she got out of the passenger side, closing the door lightly.

"Officers!" Scully called for them.

"Ma'am, are you Dana Scully?" One of the officers asked her.

"Yes, sir." She replied, nonchalantly.

"Do you know the events that have taken place earlier today?" Scully started brewing up fake tears and sniffled.

"Yes." She looked down at the pavement.

"We're sorry for your loss, ma'am. We're gonna need you to sign some documents, then you'll be free to go." They stated.

'Free.' Scully thought. 'indeed I am.'

______

Mulder sat on his front door step, waiting. He looked up, smiled and got up as he saw Scully walking towards him.

"Sup, G-woman? Everything go well?" He asked.

She nodded, "Yes it did."

Mulder put his arm around her shoulders and lead them into his house. "So I sent my application for the Federal Bureau of Investigation last week." 

She turned to him, "I need to get on that!"

He laughed, "you really do!"

"What do you think will happen if we both join the FBI?" She asked him in all seriousness.

Mulder shrugged, "I don't know, but if you're not my partner then I'm gonna start whooping some ass!"

Scully hit his thigh lightly, "profanity!"

"Ouch, sorry!" He chuckled. He saw Scully turn away and look at the ground. "What's wrong?"

She turned to him again. "It's just weird you know? How just like that and he's gone, dead. And just like that MY life is better? It just doesn't make any sense how I had all this bad luck and such a terrible life, and one accident changes everything." He reached out to wipe the tear off of her face and caressed her cheek.

"You know, some people go through the hardest parts of their lives first, and when they overcome them, nothing but good comes out of it." He smiled at her and she smiled back at him.

"Thanks, Mulder." She leaned into him giving him a heartwarming hug and he returned it. She nuzzled her face in the crook of his neck, and they could stay there for the rest of their lives if they wanted to.

They were now lying on the couch, Mulder's arms wrapped around Scully's waist, both slowly drifting off to sleep.

______

The next morning Mulder woke up and smiled as he looked down to see Scully still sleeping soundly in his arms. He watched the way she inhaled and exhaled, her ribs reaching the layer of skin just below her chest. He bent his neck and lied a sweet, gentle kiss on her forehead.

"I love you, Scully."

___________
Heyy!