Chapter 11

I felt the morning sun on my skin, warming my face as I folded the last bit of my clothes and placed them into the bag Beth had brought for me.

Today's the day I'll be going home.

I blew loose strands of my bangs from my face and tucked them back behind my ear, proceeding to zip the suitcase and pull it off the bed. I looked around the room, pausing on the large window on the far wall.

I had looked out that window so many times, just looking at the city lights below and the glittering stars. I'd find myself looking at those tiny specks of color on nights when the nightmares and emotional hurt became too much to handle. Many of my tears were shed in this very room, and as I look over it a final time, I grab the handle of my case and turn for the door.

Leaving this room for the next soul.

The white walls seemed to blind me on this slow day. Not many people were here, perhaps because its only Thursday? Oh, well.

As I walked past the nurses station I waved to the young ladies, the women who've I've become some-what familiar with in my month of being here. I took a few steps forward, prepared to go about my merry little way, but I stopped. I just kind of stood in the middle of the hall for a few seconds which soon turned to minutes.

I looked back at the nurses and set my hand on the counter, before asking. "Um, has Nikki Wayne come by at all today?"

They all looked at each other for a few moments, before returning to me with a grim face, "No ma'am. She...stepped out."

I wanted to ask more on the subject but felt it wasn't my place, not only that but Bethany and Daniel are waiting in the parking lot. So, I took the information and forced my feet to carry me away after returning the nurses a soft "Thank you, very much"

As I stepped into the elevator, I clenched my hand into a fist, turning my knuckles white as I gaze into my reflection.

"You promised." I whispered to myself in the empty lift. Nikki promised me that she would be there whenever I left. She made me a promise. What would make her break it?

...

The car ride was long and strenuous; my mind flitted with worries and concerns for my new life without an arm. Although I could get around in the hospital it was because others were helping me. I had never been allowed to push myself too much, and now that I'm going to be getting my old life back I could screw up and mess things up for my friends, family, and....

My mind freezes as I think about Jeff, how I haven't heard from him in over a month and have been left on a cliffs edge because of it. In the beginning I was hurt, but I tried to make rational decisions based on my better judgment. He could be hurt or dead, but I know better. Jeff is smarter than that. When I ran out of excuses for him I started to develop a new emotion.

Rage.

He left me. He left me! He abandoned me with no answers and because of it I can never really move on. That murky eyed man still haunts my dreams. His familiarity lurks in my mind and catches me off guard at my most vulnerable moments. I can't escape from him no matter how much I want to. All because Jeff can't give me a few simple fucking answers!

When I see him I'm going to kick his ass.

As the scenery changed from the city to the urban society of my neighborhood, I try to think of ways to explain what happened that night. The night everything changed. I know people will ask when I go back to school. And it's not like I can pretend I wasn't there. It was on the news, in the paper, and almost everyone in the area attended the funerals. Those boys were saints to everyone else, and to have a mass murder in an area where everyone knows everyone is bound to be remembered.