Chapter 29

I don't know how long I'd been here. In this dream like state with these three.

Koba.

Ardith.

And Camile.

She was silent resting her head in the palm of her hand an agitated look almost permanently making a home on her charred face.

Ardith was off of his throne, looking out at the fire that scorched all but the small island that held the thrones of bones. That and the small bridge that allowed me access to their island. I've tried exploring the path, walking down until I couldn't see the island anymore but stopped once the fires raged stronger and I couldn't walk any further.

Their world was always burning, always hot. It was never comfortable. But neither were they.

Koba was missing from the picture. He disappeared into the fire to take my body. At least, that's what I was told. By the time I found myself on the road to their thrones he was already gone.

I sat, now, picking at the gravel and dirt beneath my feet simply waiting for my consciousness to through me back in control to behold whatever mess Koba started.

"The fires are burning bright today" Ardith spoke, he held his hand over the fire allowing his constantly wet body drop water into the flames, a quiet sizzle audible from where I sit.

Peering around the area I see that, indeed,  the fires are taller and their hear has intensified to an almost uncomfortable temperature.

"He's fucking that girl again" Camile spits.
"That butch of a woman with the clock eye"

My gut instantly tightened

Clockwork.

She's always had a lust after me, but in a very unhealthy way.

"What makes you think that, Cammy?" Ardith questions using the nickname she hates.

She simply points to the fire,
"It's his heart. He doesn't love her, it's the thrill of being alive, of sex."

"It's disgusting" I counter, "He's using my body."

Camile looks into the flames, it's venomous tongue licking at the eternally black sky void of any moon or stars. A void that has no end.
"Be grateful, Tobias. He's at least giving your body a purpose, even if it is something as vile as ravaging an ungrateful whore"

Hugging my knees to my chest I bury my face into my legs,
"She never liked Kerstion- always said she was no good-"

"UGH!!! It's always 'Kerstion this, Kerstion that!!" Camile snapped.
"Why is she always on your mind? It's been over sixteen years. Get over it. She's dead. And if it wasn't for that man with the slit grin your daughter would be too."