Chapter 22

The night was long. I missed my home more than ever, but I could at least know I did enough to end my connections with my family. Hopefully I could grant them the closure I never got.

Regardless, the rain clouds, which I had seen earlier today, had finally burst and the sky had began to weep. It made the night ever more ill hearted as I lay here in my bed listening to the roaring thunder, the sky flashing purple every now and then.

Jeff hasn't come to see me since I got back, then again I was hauled up in my room. At least now I actually have clothes and I'm not wearing Jeff's very few shirts and the same pair of jeans.

The rain itself was ok, but the constant crackling of the sky was so loud I had no way of sleeping, and since the cottage had no working lights, I was forced to lay there and take it all.
However, there was no way I was sleeping tonight.

I threw off my covers and my bare feet tapped the floor quietly. Jeffs shirt draping past my waist to cover my underwear.
Opening the door silently, I peered down the hall just in time to catch another crack of light, the aftershock of thunder making the ground quiver.

Tip toeing down the hall, I slid my hand on the wall to guide me in the intense darkness. By the time I reach Jeffs room and ease the door open, I can hear his snoring. He's only in his boxers and tossed over on his side when I opened the door, Smile huddled soundly under the bed.

Sliding one foot in front of the other, I crept closer to Jeff's sleeping form.
His eyes cracked open as I eased myself to sit beside him.

"What are you doing in here?" He groaned sitting up.

I refused to look at him as I sat at the foot of his bed . I pulled my knees to my chest and hugged them tightly.
"C-Can we just talk for a second? I can't sleep."

He opened his mouth as if to protest, but as he really took in my mood, the aura I was putting off, he closed his mouth and instead sighed and scooched closer.
"What's wrong?"

I feel my eyes sting but cant pin point why I feel like crying.
"I guess...I was just thinking. We don't really talk when we're not screaming at each other"

Jeff nods understanding.

"I feel bad. I really haven't talked to you. And, after today, I figured 'why not'?"

He sighs and rests his head in his palm.
"So, you've got me up at who-knows-how-late all because you wanted to chat?"

I shake my head in disbelief,
"You know I was trying to be a good person, but you just can't take me seriously can you?" I go to get off the bed bed Jeff reaches out and pulls me back.

I sit quietly in awkward silence.

"What do you want to talk about?"

I pursed my lips and breathe evenly, trying to compose myself.
"Why don't you just resist your Soul? If everyday people can live their lives normal then why can't you resist yours?"

Jeff rolled his eyes, "you still don't get it do you? Every Soul is different. Depending on how the person died depends on how they use their host. Some manipulate their hosts to insanity, so they have no way to resist the Soul. Others may stay hidden and remain in the hosts brain, just wanting to feel human again. Those are the most popular. In my case, my Soul was defending itself. If the person it's inhabiting dies it has no where to go, since their hosts soul will go into another being. That's why a lot of mediums can hear them. For me, it's just insanity."

"...do you know why it wants to kill?"

Jeff scoffs.
"It's not like we're Bffs, Serenity. Some people have connections so personal with their ghost that the Soul just lays back and becomes... metaphorically speaking... friends. Others become so bombarded that they can be corrupted and possesed. In other words, I don't know because it doesn't want to talk to me"