Chapter 30

It was bitter sweet, my new name.

A vulture.

The creatures of death, they picked from the dead and sustained on the lost souls of the living.

How ironic that I stand for the very thing I fought against for so long.

Jack had left almost as soon as we got back to the house, Smile bounded happily and begged Ej to play with him but it was evident by his behavior Jack had other ideas.

He was gone before I had a chance to even question why he insisted on bringing me to that horrid place.

Smile ran to my side, yipping happily as I rubbed his wet fur. It was still raining outside so just as Smile was soaked from head to muzzle I could only imagine the tension Jack would face on his long walk home. Though, it's not like the trek here was any better.

Grabbing a handful of my brunette hair I twisted it around my fingers and watched as the droplets fell to the matted carpet. My skin was moist and supple from all the moisture it had soaked up and I was beyond cold.

With no heater left in the house I quickly changed into a deep blue sweater and thick sweat pants, not skipping on the fuzzy socks to warm my chilled feet.
Sitting cozily on the coach Smile drug an old throw blanket from Jeffs room, he dropped it to my feet and jumped onto the couch. Resting his head on my lap I draped a blanket over both of us for protection from the harsh cold.

In that moment I questioned what I really knew about Jack. He's a very reserved man with questionable morals from what I gathered.

All was well, and yet...something was off.
I wasn't sure what, but I'd been feeling this way since I got back and Jack sped off.

Despite the rain and my finally getting dry, I stood from the couch, Smile looked confused as he turned his head.
I approached the front door, peaking out a crack in the frame before opening it completely.

"Something is out there" I mumbled against the rain, the sky overcast and black as midnight. The wind blew cold and I was quick to pull my sleeves over my palms. I felt a chill dance over my spine, but it wasn't from the chilled breezes.

I was being watched.

Smile rushed to my side, almost sensing the unease.

"Did....did Jack turn around and come back?"

The husky growled beside me and immediately I knew something was up.
My mind was full of possibilities, blood racing, fears hastening for instincts to react.

It was all too real that I was alone. Has Kenneth Monroe's ghost come for me? Has his spirit turned to a Soul and he's bloodthirsty?

The strange Rake. Boney, grey, glazed eyes and a scent so putrid buzzards would think twice. What if they'd come for me?

I stepped into the rain, feeling it's icey tongue lick my skin before the trees rustled and out came countless amounts of men armed with guns and a riot shield. Hounds barked and chomped their jaws as handlers led them to the house.

Police?!

But how did they...?

"Come out with your hands up! We have you surrounded! Surrender now or we will be forced to act with violence!"

A million thoughts zipped their way through my body.
How did they find me?!
Where did I mess up?!
What will happen to me?!

With their voices an echo I slammed the door shut, fidgeting for a lock with so much hast I couldn't help but pad my foot uncontrollably.