Chapter 34

My hands gripped at the fabric on Geoffs chest as he held me piggyback, my eyes trying to ignore the pools of blood and mounds of bodies that littered the prison.

We had stayed under the bed for hours, more rake plowing through the halls and killing anyone they saw. My legs were swollen by the time and walking was hard, so Geoff offered to carry me until I could move.

"It's horrible..." I whimpered, "these people had families. These are someones children"

"Shhh" he cooed. "It's ok. "

"This was all because of me. You saw that woman. She had my picture."

Geoff was quiet, "She didnt kill these people because she had too, she did it because of her own bloodlust. You had nothing to do with it"

I kept quiet, there was no reason for me not to be the cause. At this rate my body count will rise and I will had never once raised a blade.

"I don't know you..." My voice quieted to a mere whisper, "I don't know you and I don't want to. I want my love. I want him to make the world right again "

It was stupid, vulnerable, of me to say it, but I meant every word. I need Jeff with me. Whether it makes me weak or strong doesn't matter to me anymore.

"Lets get you into some new clothes" Geoff stated solemn, his hands under my knees as he carried me into a distant room full of uniforms for the officers here.
A dusty storage closet.

I knew the drill, so I grabbed the first uniform that looked my size and cautiously unzipped my jumpsuit. I didn't even bother to see if Geoff was watching or not, I just needed the blood off of me- needed to escape from the deep sensation of guilt creeping up my legs.

Doing my best to hurry, I felt my fingers fumbling with each button and zipper. The buttons on my shirt were a test I couldn't pass and Geoff eventually came over to help.

"Let me" he said.

His pale fingers worked at the buttons, from my navel to my chest he  clipped the clasps, eyes lingering on my bra a little too long as he finished.

Face to face with Geoff I sensed dread chewing throughout my torso, like it was a sin alone to let him get so close to what wasn't his.

"This is a mistake," I stated blunt, "the kiss was a mistake. I was stupid. I'm sorry but I have a boyfriend, and I want you to respect that"

Geoff's lip curls at the side.
"Yea, I've got a girlfriend, too. Looks a lot like you; guess I got carried away"

I shook my head, acutely aware of how he loomed over me, my height not too short but with him I felt small.
"Well, I'm glad we settled it" I pushed off of him and walked to the door.
"We need to get my arm"

...

"I don't know where they keep confiscated merchandise"

Geoff fingered the map mounted in the medicine deposit office, shelf after shelf of pill bottles and other medical supplies lining the walls. My palm grasped the metal drawer of a desk, junk and other random supplies strewn about the inside. It was a miracle that we were capable of even getting in here, thinking that other refugees would have gotten here first.

"We'll have to go through this section of the prison to get to the main office, assuming that your arm is there, anyway."

I nodded, understanding fully that leaving my arm was not an option. There was no option to wait for another appendage to be reconstructed.

"We have to avoid that psychopath at all costs. With no weapons we're better off dead than whatever hell she has in store for us."

Couldn't agree more. I had seen the glint in her eye when she wiggled her heel into the gushing wound embedded in the officer's flesh, how swiftly she let his life end--no remorse or hesitation. After all, it is me she is looking for. I don't want to think about what she has in store for dear old Serenity Rogers.