Chapter 33

The water cascading down my back was barely warm enough to resurrect my numb skin. Something gross was crawling in my stomach, my body reeling at the thought of what I had done, a demon tormenting me for what I had done.

I kissed Geoff, the young officer who I had no contact with until tonight.

It was the heat of the moment! The minute our lips touched I was filled with the sense of familiarity! I was longing for attention, a vulnerable mess.

There was nothing between us but lust. What is worse is that I let it happen...

I was the one who didn't say no.

But it was a mistake, my heart belongs to Jeff and Jeff alone, but when our lips brushed against each other I felt the way my spirit soared and our lips melted together as one.

And that necklace...

It was perfectly imbedded in my memory, how sure he wanted to pull it off when alone with me as he said "Not yet...."

What did that mean?

Shit that's cold!

I whip my head to the source of the drastic temperature change.

"Quit daydreaming" Misty snapped, taking her hand away from the nozzle in front of me.

Modesty was not something this prison practiced often, most of the women from my sector all nude and showering in the same filthy tiled bathroom. The same one I got handsy with Geoff in.

"I'm sorry. But what happened with him....it was a mistake"

Misty shook her head, her pale skin red under the got water I quickly readjusted.
"I don't doubt it, Seren, we cant get laid until we get out of here. Hell I think I'd even hook up with a chick at this point."

"You already have" Hannah spat from across the room.

"Point is, if you regretted it, tell him off."

My eyes gave me away, it just wasn't that simple.

"Look, just because you hit him up once doesn't mean you have obligations to him"

"It's not that!" I cried, "Its the fact that I felt so glued to him, like I was really with Jeff. No one can fake those feelings, I promise, no one!"

Hannah rubbed a small bar of soap in her hands, bright eyes narrowed at me from across the room in an attempt to give advice.
"Are you sure he had a necklace? Officers aren't allowed to have jewelry. It's too dangerous in a prison, howd he get it past security?"

A sigh escaped my lips.

There just wasn't a simple answer to this. I felt like a traitor. I cheated on Jeff. In a way, I'm afraid of how he'd react if he knew.

"Maybe he's the one who left that letter?" Misty handed me her soap, a community bar that was covered in hair and grime. I made do, anyway.

Hannah knew more about the note than Misty. She was the first to find out and knows more about it's origins than anyone. I could tell by the look on her face that she doubted it.

"Oh, thats right! It belongs to a faceless man, doesnt it?" Misty teased.

"You don't know anything about it! Ive seen the hell that followed that God forsaken symbol and want no part in it" Hannah snapped. She quickly rinsed and moved beside me.
"Serenity, you know how this ties into you better than me, I don't know where you came from or anything about your past life, but I do know that its very important if you have a sore connection to the Proxy symbol"