Chapter 12

Darkness, I've grown used to it. For whatever reason the world has grown dark and cold. I don't know where I am or what I'm doing; all I know is that I need to keep standing here.

Serenity...a word I've grown familiar with—my name.

When I was little, I loved my name. It became my favorite word. I never knew why. I turn my head to the black ceiling. No sky, no wind, nothing to this world except for this endless black void.

It's quiet...until I hear something.

I begin to see it, a glowing white orb that pulsates with soft heat, I am cold and this will make me warm. I lift my hands as I see the little white light trickle down from the endless black, floating down and down some more until it lands delicately in my palm, and I listen.

The little orb has a woman's voice and I begin to feel a sense of familiarity towards the singing. The warmth of the orb envelopes me and clears the pain in my heart. My arm returns and I lift it to the orb and hold it close to my chest. I don't know why, but I need to have this orb close to my heart. I just need to.

I smile into the orb, the only little light in this endless world in my palms.

And then it happens.

The orb stops pulsating, the singing of the woman ceases and the color of white turns to a dark crimson red. The heat fades at first before suddenly turning scorching hot and burning so intensely I feel my flesh start to sizzle and crust into burns. My nerves scream in agony and my arms go numb. I tried to drop the orb but it is now branded into my hand.

I cry in pain and fall to my knees harshly, trying to peel my hands away from the orb before it burns my hands to the bone.

I feel my muscle being invaded and my nerves rupture in protest. The pain is too much; it hurts so badly I feel nauseous. Bile rises in my throat and I fight to keep it down as my face becomes drenched in water from my tears.

Then, as if things weren't painful enough, another voice erupts from the once plentiful orb. Only, the voice was not the singing of the lady. It is dark and holds nothing comforting.

It's a voice so evil and sadistic I start to tremble. I don't feel safe here.

"I want to go home!" I cried, feeling my bones bake into the orbs heat. "Let me go home!!!"

Memories flood from the orb. I see images of a woman with long blonde hair and fair blue eyes. I see her being beaten, in pain, crying out just as I am, and I see her soul...the white orb. It starts to crumble and flicker as her emotional suffrage becomes too much—causing the light to wither and die.

This woman-though I have no idea who she is-has my pity. I saw her life, I held her soul and watched it die in my hands.

The horrible, bone rattling voice rings out again, making me shake and beg for mercy.

"You cannot run forever, Serenity. I will find you and when I do....heh...we're going to have sooo much fun."

I cry out for Jeff, Amy, Casper, Daryl, anyone who can help me.

Soon, though, the voice fades away, taking the horrendous heat and fear with it. I'm left on the floor writhing in agony while the orb rolls out of my hands. I look down at my palms, the flesh and muscles burnt through, my bones blackened from charring.

I curl into a ball and cry in pain, hiccupping and sniffling my way through the stinging in my hands until I see the orb glow again from the floor.