Chapter 21

"Who the hell do they think they are?!" I growl, tucking my arm into the pocket of my jacket to stay warm.

Smile walked beside me knowingly. He seemed a little scared of me, but I knew nothing truly scared a creature like him.
Regardless, the walk was much needed. I began developing a necessity for the cold air in my mouth as I puffed in and out in rage.

Maybe I really wasn't cut out for the whole "staying with a serial killer" thing. I'm not gonna lie, there were times I feared Jeff. When we first started fighting I was terrified. I worried that if I really pissed him off, I'd become his next victim.
However, Jeff admits to me that he hasnt killed anyone since I arrived, despite his disappearing on several occasions.

I dont know how to exactly feel about that.

I want to ask about it. At the least I should know. I should fully understand everything and know what I'm getting into, but I can't seem to find the right moment.

This definitely wasn't it.

Smile bounded ahead of me, chasing away a few animals, smelling nature and the like, and marking his territory a few times on nearby trees.

The walk was silent, a much needed change. This past week has been wild and I still haven't yet accepted the fact that it's all real now. It's all so...sureal in a sense.
Right when I think I understand the way things work, some thing else is added on top and I'm confused again.

"I'm in way over my head," I mutter.

I miss my home, although accepting the fact that I screwed up and can't go back, I still find myself thinking about how simple it looks compared to all of this now. I want to leave, but I know that the minute I do I'll wander back. It's this weird drawl I have to the house, or maybe Jeff?

UGH!

Just the thought of him is making me angry! Why does he get under my skin so badly?! It's not even Jack anymore, It's just Jeff!

My rage began to bubble and I couldn't hold it in anymore. I grabbed a blunt piece of wood from the ground and began to frantically whack a tree.
Bark flew all around with each forceful impact and yet I kept going, screaming and gritting my teeth in the process. Anybody that may have--for some reason--passed by probably thought I was nuts. I don't know how long I was hitting that one tree, nor how far away I was from where I had started walking, but still I kept throwing my arm around, hitting the tree over and over again until I got too careless. The thick stick I had used, broke in half and flew back at me, hitting me in the eye.

Immediately, I let the remaining stick piece go and hold my face tenderly, cursing.

Smile was long gone at this point and I new I needed to get out of these ridiculously confining woods. I needed to be in the open. I needed to get away.

Since Smile wandered off, I knew that this was a prime opportunity for me to do something Jeff would no doubt forbid. Right now, I didn't care about his rules, if anything I wanted to defy them even more. And what a better way to do so if it's something I want?

I wanted to see my home again.

...

It was a while before I reached the suburban homes, my house mixed finely in the blend. As I entered the many blocks, I was thankful for this murky sky above. It was the beginning of winter, which called for plenty of rain before snow. The perfect time to go unsuspected.

As I trudged down the familiar side walk, I couldn't help but notice the many fliers for missing females, more than likely Monroe victims. I still remember the news report I watched in the hospital. I wonder for a moment if a Killer like Jeff could have done this? I quickly decide against it. Although the man is getting away with his doings, his style is sloppy and he's too inexperienced.