Darkness

I didn't want to see anyone I just wanted to be alone. So I went to the graveyard to visit my grandpa whom has been on my mind recently. I was close to him before he passed. He always made me feel safe and comforted. He would always take me to get ice cream every Sunday after church. He was the sweetest man you'd ever meet.

      I haven't been to see him in many years.  I'm a shoeless, a weeping mess, and right now I wanna smash my head into a gravestone until I'm unconscious. I pushed the thought away and used my phone as a flashlight.

      I squatted down at Grandpa's grave. I dusted it off a bit.  I wiped my tears and took a deep breath.

   "Hey grandpa. It's Emma. I'm sorry I haven't been here for a very long time. I've been so sidetracked with getting through life rather than living it. I wish you were here. God if you could see me now"I said.

    "You'd probably say something like. Emma crying over a stupid boy is pointless. Put bleach in his gas tank. Now let's go get some ice cream and watch the pigeons"I giggled as I wiped my tears. I lost my balance falling back. My phone tumbled out of my hand in the process. I groaned sitting up and looking to see where my phone landed.

    It landed next to my grandpa's grave shining on it. I went over to it and picked it up. When I did I caught a glimpse of the name on the gravestone.
I felt everything in my body become numb. I could no longer hold myself up as I looked at the gravestone. I fell to my knees. No. Fucking. Way.

  Daniel Lance Johnson
In memory of a Loving father, son, and friend
1978-2017

     "Dad?"I whispered. I just shined my light on it and stared. My dad is... dead? No that can't be....but that is his full name and year of birth...it can't be a coincidence. He never ran off with some tramp...he died.

      Mom lied to me? This doesn't feel real. No I'm over reacting. I'm just seeing things because I'm emotional.

      I started shaking and that's when I lost it. I cried so hard I nearly threw up. I stood up with my shaky legs and held my chest where my heart is. My throat felt as if I just took sandpaper as swallowed it. I took a deep breath to calm myself and then I walked to the car and drove home.
---
My family was looking worried sitting on the steps leading to the upstairs. I shut the door behind me and they all stood up and rushed over to me.

           "Don't touch me"I said walking to the stairs.

      Once I got to the second step moms voice rang through out the house.

    "Don't you turn your back on us young lady! Where were you? What happened?"mom asked.

    "Got cheated on, went for a drive, stopped to see dad nothing much"I shrugged.

  "You went to Vegas?"Brand asked.

  "No Brandon. I went to his gravestone. Our fathers rotting in the cemetery."

  "Dads dead?"Brand asked turning to mom.

   "I was gonna tell you guys"Mom sighed.

"When? When you were on your death bed? Or when one of us decided to go looking for him? Dad was everything to me. You told me he ran off with a tramp....He's dead and you drug his name through the mud. Brandon and I  deserved to know that is our father. How do you live with yourself? How do you keep something like this a secret? How did we not know? Does it not affect you now that you live in this stupid ass mansion? Because you're surrounded by all this glamor and promise of a better life? Because you have someone with money now?"