Goodbye

Friday came fast.  Bailey had convinced me to go back to school and stop hiding. I walked downstairs and stopped once I saw my brother.

     "Hey Sis"he said.

    "You're back"I said as Hilly handed me some water and my pills.

    "Yeah I came to pick you up for school"He said. I nodded.

     "Okay."

    "You two have a good day"Hilly smiled. I followed Brand to the car and got in and buckled up.
———
        I walked into the building and some people here and there looked at me and whispered to each other.

   Wow. way to make a girl feel welcomed back and comfortable, assholes.

    "Oh Emma hi! Thank god you're here!"   Molly who is one of the cheerleaders smiled.

   "Uh hi Molly...is everything okay?"I asked.

    "Bri is sick and Dina broke her ankle yesterday!"Antonia another cheerleader panicked.

     "Okay so what?"I asked.

    "Bri texted me and asked if you could fill in for her"Molly said.

    "Uh...I-I can't. Where's the back ups?"I asked.

     "You and Dina are the back ups!"

    "I wasn't aware. Um can you find anyone else?"

   "Yeah I guess. Come on Molly we have to hurry!"

    The two ran off and I sighed. I looked around at everybody in the crowed. Either making out, talking, throwing stuff, walking to class, or making weird noises.

    I began walking to class when I felt arms wrap around me from behind and squish me in a hug. He smelled like mango vape juice, aftershave, and cologne.

    "Ew Austin get off"I whined elbowing him.

      "No we missed yooou! where have you been?"he asked as I turned around in his arms.

    "Comfortably at home"I stated.

    "Ouch icy"he pouted pulling away from me. Caleb hugged me next.

   "Caleb"I groaned.

   "Trigger warning Wesley is coming with the rest so unless you want to get chocked by the awkwardness in the air you have a few seconds to get out of here"Austin said as I rolled my eyes and walked away. I then ran into Bailey.

"Oh hey B"I said.

"Hey Em what's up?"she asked.

   "Just trying to make it to class"I said.

    "I'll walk you there. What about Wesley?"

   "I will ignore him even if he is persistent"I deadpanned.
---
        Wesley gave me space. Surprisingly. It wasn't easy to get through each class though. The work was easy but trying to ignore Wesleys presence was impossible. Bailey and I sat next to each other at the pep rally. The drums were a little too much for me. But the pep rally was fine.

    Bailey and I went out and got some lunch before heading back to the school for the football game.we sat on the bleachers and waited for the game to start. Bailey was doing my hair as I looked onto the field deep in thought.

    "So you have that look in your eyes....what are you  planning?" She asked as she wiggled her eyebrows.

    "I wanna talk to Wes"I said. Bailey squealed excitedly.

    "Ooh LaLa. I think I'm gonna talk to someone as well"she smiled excitedly. She finished putting my hair in Dutch braids.

"Who?"I wiggled my eyebrows.

    "Uh...Brandon actually"she said.

  "My brother?"

  "Yeah we've kinda gotten closer"She shrugged.

"Oh...cool. Uh...Look it's starting."

   "Wait you don't mind?"

  "You do you boo. It's your life. I bestow my blessing on you!"

  "Okay"She giggled then hugged me.

     Game time. The cheerleader opened. After the cheer the first quarter started. Before I knew it third quarter came and the football players were amped because we won. Last game of the season was a success. Austin, Caleb, Eddy, Bailey and I all stood together talking.

    My back was facing the field as Bailey as we all laughed and talked to each other. Everyone went silent for a moment and I stared at them confused.

   "Guys?" They were looking at the field. I turned around to see Wesley kissing a cheerleader from the other team. I felt my heart fall to my stomach and looked at Bailey with tear filled eyes. I blinked them away and shrugged. "What?"

    "Em..." Bailey frowned.

  "We're not dating."   So much for waiting. What did I expect. I told him not to. I wanted to laugh at the irony of my own stupidity.

  "Dude isn't that?"

  "Dude shut up"Caleb said punching Eddy's arm.

  "Shit it's Daniella"Austin said.

  "You know her?"I asked.

  "That's Wesley's ex."

  "His first girlfriend"Bailey said.

  "The one that broke his heart"Eddy said clenching his jaw.

   "Oh. Brand is still crashing at your place right?"

   "Yeah"Caleb said.

  "Okay well I'm gonna head home. Bye guys"I said walking off.

   "Em wait-" She started as I left and went to the car. I took out the keys and felt a tear roll down my cheek. I wiped it away and dropped the keys. I groaned in irritation. I was frustrated and just wanted to sleep. I picked up the keys and gasped when I saw a figure behind me in the window.

   "Emma"I heard my name. I turned around to see Wes.

    "Oh hey. Good game."

   "Em-"

     "Don't Wesley...please don't."

     "I'm sorry. That wasn't what you think."

  "It never is...look Wes. It's whatever okay...we're not together. Your business is your business."

   "But Emma-"

      "I wanted to tell you goodbye. I'm going to Latvia to stay with my uncles"I said quietly.

I know it's a rash decision, but I can get a really good education there, and I just need a break. Besides I haven't seen uncle Ray and uncle David since my parents divorce. Mom sent Brand and I to stay with them for the summer.

     He stood there speechless, his facial expressions hard to read. At this point I knew he wasn't looking at me. He was deep in thought. I walked up to him and laid a hand on his sweaty chest. I then stood on my tippy toes the best I could and kissed his cheek.

"Goodbye Wes"I said quietly...even though those words broke me.

I grew so attached to Wesley in the time we spent together. I didn't realize how much until recently. Something about him drove me wild. Made me question who I was and who I am. I can't blame him for kissing his first love. I pushed him away.

I got in the car and pulled out of the parking lot. I fought the urge to look back. I knew I had to keep going.