Prologue

Hey guys, welcome to the wonderful world of YGO and more importantly An Orphan's Tale! Thanks for clicking on my story; I promise to do my best not to disappoint.

First off, I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE CHARACTERS, CARDS, OR OVERALL PLOT of the Yu-Gi-Oh Series. I only own my OC, Rika and the minute changes I have in store.

Also, this story in its entirety is posted on Fanfiction (Same user name), but I have made some major edits to the original so feel free to check it out on there as well. 

My OC is Rika (Muto) Magruda and will be the main narrator of the story as it follows her life through the series.

This is a Seto Kaiba x OC based story, so if you're not a fan, please don't flame.

Prologue:

Solomon Muto stood in Domino Cemetery with a frown on his face in tears in his aged eyes. Two days ago his son and his family were in a devastating car accident claiming the lives of his son and his wife. As the caskets lowered into the ground, his eyes left the hurtful setting to rest on the two things left behind by his son, his grandson Yugi and granddaughter Rika. Yugi was far too young to understand the gravity of the situation and continued on with life as normal. Rika, however, seemed shut off from the world with a blank expression coating her features. He worried for his granddaughter and the long-term effects the sudden loss of her parents would cause.

The next day as he was sweeping the shop, two figures, a man and a woman, walked in dressed in business attire. He knew right away that they were not there for any kind of game he sold.

"Can I help you?"

"Hello Mr. Muto my name is Suki and this is Aro we are with Children and Youth Services. It was brought to our attention you gained guardianship of your two grandchildren with the passing of your son and daughter-in-law."

"Yes, that is correct."

"Per regulations we have to do a thorough evaluation to see if you will be a suitable caregiver or if the children must enter foster care until adjustments can be made."

The two social workers began their two-day study of the Muto household and though they found nothing physically wrong, a closer examination of his finances raised some questions.

"Mr. Muto after studying your financial records we have some major concerns." The shop owner lowered his head knowing what was soon to be said. It hadn't been the best couple of years and he was barely able to make ends meet.

"We can not safely allow you to care for both of your grandchildren. The deficits you face already are great; to add the burden of growing children would create unfavorable conditions. We are willing to grant a grace period of three months to prove you could provide for one, and then possibly we could revaluate your custody of the second." He simply turned to look at the two children playing in the yard through the shop window. Rika was pushing Yugi higher and higher on the swing set with laughter was set in both of their features. How could even begin to think about choosing which to keep? It is a decision a grandparent should never have to make.

Later that week, Solomon Muto did the hardest thing he's done in his life. He took his granddaughter to Domino Orphanage at age six. He despised the concept of foster care and would rather her have a chance of finding a new permanent family rather than bounce place to place. However, like the day of the funeral, she held no expression. She simply nodded hugged her grandfather and went inside.

During her time at the orphanage, Rika usually kept to herself making no friends but found interest in both art and Duel Monsters a card game that was starting to gain popularity. Even at such a young age, she understood the game very well. She was very bright and would do well once enrolled in school that fall. She would spend hours trying to read books with the older children and practicing her maths. Her intelligence was far beyond her age norms.