Chapter 18:- Dreams or Reality?

My eyes scrutinized the different yet familiar place surrounding me. As I adjusted to the bright light, I noticed 'dasis', or females dressed as dasis everywhere. There was a long corridor ahead of me, with alternating pink and yellow drapes decorating it. Diyas were lit at each of the twenty pillars supporting the intricately rugged passage. Carefully, a dasi garnished each diya with bits of marigold, leaving no chance of error. The palace was getting decorated as if welcoming a very important guest.

Wait, what was I doing at the fort of Chittor? I turned around, scanning the place to observe the familiar walls and walkways. Although Faisal and I both made a plan to visit Chittorgarh during Maharana Pratap, however ultimately, it was only I who reached to explore the Fort of Chittor. I had been fascinated of the set palace the crew built for the show, and promised myself to visit the actual palace sometime. My heart still jitters whenever I remember the fact that I walked through the corridors in which the brave and valiant Maharana Pratap once strolled. Where once the kingdom rejoiced at the arrival of Kunwarani Ajabde Pratap Singh, who had made a place in everyone's hearts. Where conch shells were once blown the second a heir was born to secure the future of Mewar. A slight smile made its way on my face as I revisited those episodes shot during the production of the show.

"Kunwaranisa, aaj aap ati sundar lag rahe hain..." a dasi complimented, breaking my chain of thoughts. It was then I realized the change in my attire. My white short-sleeved Vero Moda top was replaced with a beautifully woven yellow Puthia, a loose upper garment which ended just below my waist. Instead of a pair of denim shorts, my lower body was covered with a purple netted Lehenga, with five-inched borders at the bottom. A purple silk Odhni adorned my head with a head ornament filled with precious gems, or a Rakhdi, giving an extra burden of two kilograms. A heavy purple dupatta draped over my body, exposing my Puthia through the transparent fabric. I had the traditional Mewari bangles on each hand and a simple nath on my nose. The change in my look was surely part of the process of Provoking Past. However, why was this dasi addressing me as the 'Kunwarani'?

"Thank- Dhanyavaad." I corrected myself, reverting back to Ancient Hindi.

"Kya hum aapse kuch poonch sakte hain?" I asked the dasi.

"Avashya Kunwaranisa.." She smiled making me frown. Why was she addressing me something I never was?

"Yeh sajavat aur yeh shringar...koi vishesh kaaran?" I asked confused.

"Baisa...yeh aap poonch rahi hain?" She giggled in disbelief.

"Aap hi ki nirdesh pe yeh sab kiya hai..." She reminded to which I stood there bewildered. When did I ever order anything?

"Ji?" I questioned, not knowing what else to say.

"Kunwaranisa, yeh sab Kunwarsa ke aane ke khushi mein hai.." The dasi reasoned.

"Ji?" I asked again. Which Kunwarsa was she talking about?

"Baisa, sambhavta aap swast nahi...aap Maharanisa se mil lijiye." She suggested with a warm grin.

"Hmm...humme bhi kuch aise hi lagta hai.." I agreed. "Kahan-kahan hai Maharanis aka kaksh?" I stammered. I, being the 'Kunwaranisa' of some Chittor-like palace, did not know where the Maharani's chambers were. Nothing could get more absurd than that.

"Prateet ho raha hai, ki aap sach mein aswast hain...aap toh aaj tak unka kaksh ka marg nahi bhuli." I gulped down a lump formed in my throat.

"Aap aaye, hum aapki sahayta kar lete hain." She offered, extending her arm while bowing down.

"Aapka bohot bohot dhanyavaad." I expressed my gratitude before stepping forward. The payals on my feet made a soft tingling sound as I walked, juti never being more comfortable.

Somehow, I felt very easy in the attire I was wearing, even though I never wore such heavy garments. As I took turn, I noticed the winged eyes through the side mirror. I looked completely different, but it seemed as if everything fitted me perfectly. As if I was made for such royal attires.

"Aagaya Maharanisa aka kaksh, Kunwaranisa." The dasi, informed.

"Dhanyavaad Rama..." I thanked absentmindedly, immediately realizing what I said. How did I know her name, I never met her before.

"Kitne din baad aaj aap khush dikh rahe hain Baisa, aise hi raheiga." Her eyes spoke happiness. I gave an assuring nod as she left to resume her work.

I turned back to look at the chamber gates in front of me. The ten footed tall sturdy doors, stood before me, guarding one of the most important person in the kingdom. The golden carved doors made me get nostalgic. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I had a blurry image of these gates. I was never so confused before, what was going on?

Hesitantly, I knocked on the royal gates.

"Aayiye.." came an order from inside. Again, I had an intuition as if I heard that voice before.

I pushed the doors to find a tall woman standing with her back facing towards me. She had a similar attire to mine, the only thing different was the color combination.

"Maharanisa?" I said meekly, not being able to hear my own voice clearly.

I waited for a few seconds which seemed like hours. It was then, that I got probably the biggest surprise of my life.

"Ajabde!" She whispered delighted...

Happy Friendships Day! :)