Chapter 45:- The First Step

I've been down with cold and flu in addition to the work pressure... :(

Chapter Update has been served! 

................................................................................................................................................................

"Faisal?" I meekly spoke, resting a hand on his shoulder as I saw him lost in thoughts.

"Roshni...are you okay?" He immediately gasped, alert.

"That's the question I've been wanting to ask..." I urged.

"What's wrong with me?" He spoke hastily, looking away.

"The stuttering, not meeting my eyes, I know you well to comprehend your actions." I said softly, holding his hand.

But to my utter surprise, he jerked it away, "Roshni, you need rest."

"What's bothering you? Why are you acting so...distant?" I got irked by his behavior. He was pretending as if we were strangers.

"Because we should be...you were right all this while." He answered my thoughts. I furrowed my brows with a frown on my face as he continued,

"I'm nothing but a threat to you...and I can't afford to lose you either. So it's better if we maintain our relationship as just acquaintances on a mission." He elaborated coldly. It took me a few seconds to register this in; I wasn't able to believe my ears.

"Are you serious!" I was on the verge of tears. The constant pain my injuries were giving were nothing compared to the blow I received from him.

"You were the one, who was so adamant on....living a future together! How could you decide this on your own?" I raised my voice.

"Roshni, please. We're in the middle of a corridor, in a hospital." He tried to hush me.

"Does it look like I care?!" I screamed, incredulous at his retort. Out of everything, he was caring about everyone else.

"Have you ever thought about me? My feelings?" I converted my thoughts into words.

"One moment you give me hope, and you don't take a second to shatter them in the next." I scoffed.

"You can't take this decision on your own, Mr. Faisal Khan!" I warned, pointing my index finger at him. I was boiling with anger, which could clearly be reflected in my eyes.

Before he could reprimand me about my flashing aura, I unknowingly ordered, "Ekanth" to which all the spectators surprisingly agreed. I knew I was somehow revealing myself, but nothing was making sense at the moment.

"I need answers today!" I demanded, adamant on my decision.

He turned his back towards me, as my steps faltered. I couldn't let this happen, not now.

"You can't ignore me, Faisal. You don't know who I am...I'm--"

"A Silver. I know." His voice turned grim but he refused to meet my gaze.

"Tell me for the sake of God." Please tell me.

"You may call it my cowardice...but I can't lose you, Roshni." He repeated in whispers.

"I've heard that innumerable times, Faisal. Frankly, it has started to sound more like an excuse." I grew annoyed, swinging my arms up and down.

"It may be an excuse for you, but it's life-changing for me, Rosh. You have no idea how much you mean to me, and I cannot--trust me when I say this--I cannot afford to lose you at any cost whatsoever!" He gritted through his teeth, pinning me to the nearest wall. Although he had caged my feeble wrists under his strong grasp, his emotions expressed helplessness mixed with guilt. He was trying to cover his care with anger, but I knew him too well to read between the lines.