Chapter 19:- Maa!

"Ranima?" I questioned, approaching towards the elegant woman I somehow knew.

"Hum aapki kitne samay se pratiksha kar rahe the...aur aap ab aye hain.." the familiar voice spoke in a tone of mock taunt. Her face glistened under the innumerable diyas lit, widening my eyes. She reminded me of someone I referred to as a mother figure. She reminded me of Rajshree di. The one who was always there for me to clear my confusions whenever Mom wasn't available. She was the person who understood my instincts, my feelings. Other than Noor di, and Mum, she knew the inner me...the emotional me...the shy me...the one I'm not in front of my friends. I still recall the way she consoled me post the leap of the show.

"Roshni?" Rajshree di peeped through my room.

"Di?" I questioned back in the same tone, astounded to see her here. We both broke into a fit of laughter, re-visiting our old memories from set.

"Please come..." I requested to which she nodded with a slight grin. Her smile did not reach her eyes, and I knew something was wrong.

"How are you, Roshni?" Rajshree di took a seat on my bed. She tried to sound casual, however she meant something totally different. I held her warm hands lightly, assuring her that everything would be alright.

"I am good, how are you? Such an unexpected visit at my place, is everything okay?" I asked with concern.

"Why, can I not come to meet my 'daughter-in-law'?" She hid a smile.

"Of course you can 'Ranima'..." I smiled. I noticed her squeezing her hands together. This was one habit Maharani Jaiwanta Bai and Rajshree di had in common; pressing their hands in nervousness.

"Di, although you are a very talented actress, yet you cannot hide anything from me... your visit cannot be so casual. After all, we had just met a couple of days ago." I reasoned.

"Have you gotten a role in a crime series, Detective Roshni Walia." She chuckled before continuing.

"You're right, my visit isn't very casual. I wanted to talk to you about something...Or I should say someone." She answered. That very moment, I realized who she was talking about.

"Rajshree di, I don't mean to offend you in any way, but I do not wish to talk about him...please." I pleaded. I was tired of having everyone console me. It felt as if I was suffering through severe depression.

"Roshni..."

"Why me?" I interjected. "Why does everyone think that I am at fault. When in reality, I never did anything. I did not betray anyone, instead I was the one who got betrayed...why me?" Tears brimmed to my eyes as I shut them. I was not weak, and I won't show that to anyone.

"Roshni.." Rajshree di whispered, touching my shoulder. I turned towards her and she resumed.

"It wasn't your fault, and it will never be. I haven't come here to blame you...but have come here because you are way more mature than Faisal."

"Please di... no one would believe that." I argued silently.

"I don't care what the world believes in, I know you, the real Roshni." She rebutted, pointing at my heart. Her calm and serene voice to my ears were like meditation to a soul.

"Try to think from Faisal's point of view. Would you believe someone whom your family trusts and is close to, or someone whom you just met months ago?"

"Was I just 'someone' to him?" I spoke in hurt.

"No...he counted you as a best friend, but sometimes such situations arise, where you are forced to agree to what you never wanted to. He was also forced to agree to Jannat's explanation because she wasn't talking about someone random. She was talking about his mother. His mother, whom he respected the most, the one who sacrificed everything for him and his future. Do you think he would listen to his mother's insults?"

"Are you trying to say that he wasn't wrong at all?"

"No...he was wrong because he valued Jannat's version of reality more than yours. He was wrong because he did not give you a chance to justify yourself. But try putting yourself into his shoes, wouldn't you do the same?"

I gazed into her warm eyes filled with consolation. These were the eyes I admired and respected.

"I know di, I know it wasn't fully his fault. That is why I tried talking to him..." I gulped down a lump formed in my throat.

"But he did not listen to me!" I confronted meekly, barely hearing my own voice.

"I tried to forgive him Rajshree di, I really did. But he doesn't realize what he has done to me."

"Have you tried talking to him after the leap?"

"No." I admitted. "I haven't spoken to him, and I will not. Not until he realizes his mistake."

"You stand correct too Roshni, and I will not force you too. I just wanted you to understand what he is going through."

"I know di, I understand what he is feeling, but he too has to recognize what I am going through because of his actions. Two people, whom I thought of best friends left me alone."

"I am proud to be related to such a brave and strong girl like you Roshni!" Rajshree di commented. I gave a small yet meaningful smile.

"I will forgive him, Rajshree di, I will. But only when he realizes what he has done." I decided. Di gave an approving nod before heading towards the main door of my house.

Rajshree di knew what pain I had suffered, and she well knew how to console me. Because of her, I had become stronger and more determined than that day.

"Ajabde, kahan kho gayi aap?" Maharani Jaiwanta bai snapped her fingers, making me startle. The same confident eyes, the familiar bright smile, and the same clutching of hands.

"Rajshree di?" I unknowingly asked her.

"Ajabde, aapka swast toh theek hai na? Yeh aap kya keh rahi hain?" She answered hysterically.

"Hume kshama kar dijiye Ranima..." I stammered, not knowing what to say. She approached towards me and took cupped my face with her warm, soothing hands.

"Kshama mat maangiye Ajabde...hum keval aap ke liye chintit hogaye the."

"Aaj Kunwar Pratap aarahe hain na...toh humne aapke aur unke liye ek uphaar taiyyar kiya hai." She beamed in joy.

"Kaisa uphaar, Ranima?" I asked, still clueless on where Kunwarsa was returning from.

"Aap aaiye humare saath..." She held my hand in hers and directed me towards an inner room in her chamber.

In the dim lighting, I could only make out the shape of a large rectangular object, probably a painting.

Slowly, the Maharani of Mewar lifted the portrait and faced it towards me. She held a diya in her hand, allowing me to see what present she had gifted us.

My heart beat fluttered, and eyes grew wide in horror. I clasped my hands together, until they turned bright purple. My lips twitched and mouth felt completely dry. No...this couldn't be true!  

Do vote and share your opinions! :)