Chapter 23:- Transformations

"How can I be...her?" I exclaimed.

"I expected this reaction. Don't panic, I'll explain everything to you." The officer answered calmly.

"The aura phenomenon has been discovered quite recently, and so we can only share what we know. Scientists had received many requests on people wanting to know what they were. How they could distinguish themselves from others and what their inner talents were. Some had asked out of random curiosity, but the many were very serious. These scientists then decided to investigate and research to come up with answers to their questions. After all, competition is a big factor in today's world, so such questions were expected. So this was how the aura phenomenon begun." Ms. Maria Gold started.

"After numerous years of hard work and efforts, we found out, that auras were one rare thing which differentiated a person from others. Differences such as face and body structure could be easily identified, but changes in auras cannot. You need to develop some skills in order to see these. The team came up with a new invention which is now known as the Aurester. As mentioned earlier, the role of the Aurester is to find a person's inner self through advanced technology. The only drawback we had was the method of probability. Depending on your DNA, the Aurester would find one possible suitable match for a person. But situations as such arose, where that possible match was incorrect, leading that person to perish." I slowly gulped a lump formed in my throat and clasped my hands again.

"There have been two causes for people to die through this process. One, because the Aurester couldn't choose a correct match for a person. And two, because that person did not have capability to withstand all that pressure, pain and energy required. Families started questioning about their whereabouts. And we couldn't share anything; we were bound by restrictions. The testing is supposed to be as secretive as possible."

"Why does it have to be sec-secretive?" I stuttered. She gave me a long stare before answering.

"You might have heard, that there is a age limit for the Aurester to test you. The minimum age is 15 but the maximum is 25. Some people, who are not as fortunate as you, don't realize or don't wish to get their auras tested. What happens, is that your aura soon gets out of control. The aura needs energy to charge itself, and it feeds off other people surrounding it, because it isn't trained. As an aura takes the energy from a person, they start to feel weak and sick due to the poison it leaves behind. And because there isn't any cure to this, your close ones start to perish because of your misfortune. Your aura then starts feeding off you too, leading you to death as well." Ms. Gold heaved a deep sigh.

I was as stiff as ice. My throat felt completely dry, and I was sure my fingers were dark purple by now. Guilt filled my heart, I now realized why Noor di was so keen on getting my aura tested. And what did I do? I shouted at her, when she was just being the best caring sister I could ever get. I felt sorrowful for all those families who lost their dear ones as well as their own lives. What if that had happened to me and my family? How would I ever be able to overcome the guilt? I owed my life to Noor di!

"I know what you are feeling right now...we all have experienced the guilt multiple times. But this is the harsh reality of life.."

"No it isn't!" I interrupted, tears brimming.

"It isn't the harsh reality of life! Reality is not innocent people sacrificing their lives. Reality is not families mourning for their loved ones. You said that this aura concept has been discovered recently, right? So what about the people in the olden days. What about the rulers or merchants, or servants in any of these past eras? Don't everyone have auras? Then why are people perishing now?" I bombarded her with innumerous questions.