Chapter 4

//Maggie's POV

I tried to ignore the pain that shot through my body as Daryl and Glenn lifted me out of bed and onto the stretcher.

Abraham and Carl rushed back to help and we carefully exited the RV.

I watched as Rick approached the gate and talked to Jesus before the gate opened.

We slowly entered the Hilltop and waited for the doctor to come out.

The doctor took one look at me before rushing me into his office (of sorts).

//Glenn's POV

I ran after Maggie and the men only to be stopped by a woman that looked to be in her 30's.

"Sir," she said politely. "By the look Dr. Carson's face, this is an urgent case. They need some room. You can see her later."

"But that's my wife!" I protested. "I need to be there with her!"

"You can see her later," she repeated before walking away."

I sighed sadly and went over to sit next to Daryl.

He squeezed my shoulder. "She'll be alright, man," he assured quietly.

I simply put my face in my hands.

//Rick's POV

After about an hour of waiting, we saw the doctor come out and we shot to our feet. Glenn even ran up to the man.

"How is she?" he asked urgently.

"I think I have come to a diagnosis but I need to ask you a few questions first," Dr. Carson answered.

Glenn nodded.

"Is she still in her first trimester?" the doctor asked.

"Yes," Glenn answered after a moment of thinking.

"And has there been excessive bleeding?"

Glenn, obviously nervous and overwhelmed, looked around at us. "I don't know," he admitted. "I haven't known about this for very long."

"There has," I told Dr. Carson. "The bed in the RV is soaked in her blood."

"Then I'm diagnosing this as an ectopic pregnancy."

That obviously freaked Glenn out. "Well, what does that mean?" he stuttered nervously.

"It's a case in which the egg has implanted itself in a place other than the uterus," he explained. "Most likely the fallopian tube."

"How did that happen?" Glenn asked.

"Sometimes the tube is blocked by scar tissue or has some sort of abnormality," Dr. Carson answered. "This is a very rare case."

"So what are the risks of not doing anything about it?" Daryl asked.

"The fetus will continue to grow and it will rupture the fallopian tube," he explained. "And that will cause even more extreme abdominal pain and bleeding. But luckily, we caught it at an early enough stage where I can re-implant the egg in the uterus and the pregnancy can continue relatively smoothly. Being that you are her husband, Glenn, and I see no other blood relatives of hers, I just need the "okay" from you."

Glenn looked around at us nervously before glancing back at Dr. Carson. "I'll do anything if it keeps her alive," he said with a bit more confidence.

"Alright," the doctor said with finality. "I want to keep her here for a few months so I can do the operation and she can recover. I want you to stay with us, Glenn."

"Of course," he answered hastily.

I saw Sasha step up. "I'll stay, too," she offered.

Abraham stepped up next to her. "And if she's staying, I'm staying."

Dr. Carson looked at the couple in admiration. "If you're sure, we'd be happy to have you stay with us."

I walked up to stand in front of the doctor. "You keep us updated," I told him.

"Of course," he assured.

"Well, we better get going," Daryl sighed.

Everyone wished Dr. Carson and Glenn well and said goodbye to Sasha and Abraham, regretfully got back in the RV, and drove home.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: I felt so smart while writing this chapter 😂😂😂

How do you think Maggie's operation will turn out?

And what do you think awaits the rest of the group back at Alexandria?