Chapter 20

1 week later

//Carl's POV

I had gone to where Tess and I usually meet for the past week. Not once was she there. Yet I kept going back.

I was started to get really pissed at her. Not only did she keep standing me up, but she had gotten me hooked so much that I kept going back, even though I knew she wasn't gonna show up.

Dammit Tess.

I was, however, able to remain fairly happy due to the fact that Maggie, Glenn, Abraham, and Sasha were coming home in two days. Dr. Smith said Maggie had recovered remarkably fast and her pregnancy was running smoothly again.

Though Enid was trying to play it cool, I could tell she was excited to see Glenn and Maggie again. Besides me, they were the only people she trusted.

I was taking a walk with Daryl when I heard Aaron's voice.

"Daryl!" he called. "Carl! There's someone at the gate."

Daryl and I jogged over before giving Aaron a thumbs up.

As the gate opened up, I immediately recognized the person behind it.

Tess.

She made eye contact with me immediately, a shocked and awkward look taking over her face.

I'm almost sure my face mirrored hers.

We simply stood there for a few moments before Daryl cleared his throat.

"Hey, Tess," he greeted. "What's up."

"Huh?" she asked and finally tore her eyes away from me. "Oh, um, I came to talk to Rick."

He smiled a little and put his hand on the back of her shoulder, guiding her in. "I'll take you to him."

She smiled back awkwardly and nodded, stepping inside.

While my eyes stayed on her the entire time, she refused to look at me. God, she made me pissed.

Finally, we came to my house and Daryl knocked on the door.

"Rick!" he called.

A few moments later the door opened.

//Rick's POV

I quickly rushed to the door to let Daryl in.

When I opened it however, I saw Daryl standing with Carl and...Tess. I immediately tensed up. While I didn't necessarily believe that she was a Savior, what Jesus told me didn't sit right with me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her.

Seeming surprised by my sudden hostility, she answered, "I just wanted to see how you guys are doing."

"Well, we're fine," I answered forcefully.

She just gave me a slightly shocked expression.

Slowly, my anger turned to guilt and I lowered my head, taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, looking back up at her. "Just kinda on edge right now."