Chapter 7

//Glenn's POV

Sasha, Abraham, and I were sitting in the living room of Dr. Smith's house, waiting for him to get done preparing the bedroom for Maggie's surgery.

I had gotten to talk to her a little before he took her in. I just hoped it wouldn't be the last time I talked to her.

Suddenly, the door to the bedroom opened and Dr. Smith stepped out.

He put his hand on my shoulder. "Everything's ready," he told me. "You sure you're okay with this?"

I took a deep breath before nodding. "Do it," I allowed.

He nodded back and him and a bunch of nurses walked into the bedroom.

Once the door closed, I got up and walked out of the house.

"Glenn!" I heard Sasha calling.

I didn't acknowledge her.

//Carl's POV

Enid and I were planting corn seeds when we heard commotion at the gate.

We exchanged glances before running in the direction.

There was already a huge group surrounding the entrance to Alexandria. Enid and I stayed at the back.

I could clearly see my dad staring in hatred at the leader of the Saviors himself, Negan.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. "Tess said that as long as we didn't kill any more of your people, you would leave us alone."

"Tess didn't tell me to come here," Negan clarified.

Enid scrunched her eyebrows together. "Tess?" she said in confusion. "Who's Tess?"

I hesitated for a bit before saying, "No one."

She gave me a disbelieving look but didn't push.

"And I'm not here to attack you," Negan continued. "I'm here to invite you over. "I want you to see my humble abode."

My dad gave the man a suspicious look. "Why?" he asked forcefully.

Negan rolled his eyes. "Look," he explained. "I thought that since we can't kill each other, we should to be friends."

My dad scoffed. "Yeah," he laughed. "Like that's ever gonna happen."

"Come on," the leader urged, as if challenging my dad. "Give it a chance. Plus if your don't do this, the deal is off."

My dad simply stared at him for a moment before saying, "The moment you try something, the deal's off and I'm killing you."

Negan put his hands up in surrender.

My dad turned to face everyone. "Alright," he announced. "Daryl, Carl, Michonne, Rosita, Eugene, and Aaron, come on, we're going with him."

Everybody who's names weren't called walked back into town with nervous looks on their faces.

Everyone except for Enid.

I started to walk towards Negan's truck when I felt her tap my arm.

I turned my head to face her.

"You're actually believing that this guy who hates you isn't gonna try anything just because this Tess girl said he wouldn't?" she asked incredulously.

I sighed and turned back around toward her. "Enid," I tried to explain. "We don't have a choice. If we don't go, he's gonna kill us. I'll be fine."

Enid seemed to make a decision in her head before tilting her head and smiling. "Fine," she said. "But I'm coming with you."

My eye widened. "You can't," I told her.

"There are no closets around now," she said smugly. "So how are you gonna stop me?"

And with that, she pushed past me and started walking towards the truck.

I stayed rooted to the spot for a few moments, watching her walk off, before groaning in frustration and running to catch up with her.

This girl, I decided, is the most difficult person on earth.

But that was why she was my best friend.