Chapter 22

//Rick's POV

Carl was gone. Again. That boy was really asking for me to never trust him again.

I was looking for him when I ran into Spencer.

"Hey," he greeted. "Looking for something?"

"Yeah," I confirmed. "Have you seen Carl?"

I saw his eyes widen for a split second before they returned to normal and he cleared his throat.

"Yeah," he answered. "Him and I are about to go on a run. Don't worry, I'll keep him in check."

"Wait," I cut him off, slightly putting my hand on his chest. "I thought you were gonna be on gate watch today."

"Gabriel's taking over for me," he explained.

"How come I didn't know you and Carl were going on a run?"

"It was a bit of a last minute decision," he claimed. "We won't be long, hopefully."

Still not fully believing him, I nodded and he jogged away.

Suddenly, I heard the voice of Aaron.

"Rick!" he called.

I turned to see him running up to me.

Coming to a stop in front of me, he panted as he told me, "It's Maggie, Glenn, Sasha, and Abraham. They're back."

//Carl's POV

After around 5 minutes, Tess pulled her motorcycle to the side of the road.

I awkwardly let go of her waist as we got off the vehicle.

She light grabbed my arm and pulled me into the woods.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see," she chuckled.

As we wove through the trees, Tess turned to me, her ever so slightly bushy hair crowding around her face.

"Won't your dad soon find out you're gone?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Spencer's covering for me," I assured.

Her eyebrows furrowed together. "Spencer?"

"A guy in my group," I explained.

She nodded.

"What about you?" I asked. "Won't your mom get mad at you for leaving?"

"Beta's covering for me," she explained. She must've seen the same confused expression on my face that was just on hers, because she quickly said, "My mom's second-in-command."

I nodded and we continued walking.

Soon enough, we broke through a tree line and I saw a park. Like with swings, a dome, slides.

Seeing the shocked expression on my face, Tess chuckled. "I found this place a while ago," she told me. "I come here whenever I need to be alone."

"I haven't seen one of these in so long," I said, in awe.

She smiled before turning to me, a challenging look in her eyes.

"Race you to the swings," she said before taking off.

I laughed and ran after her.

Tess won.

By a long shot. I was never a really good runner. I had been getting better since getting thrown into an apocalypse where all I do is run, but there are some things even practice can't drastically change.

We sat next to each other on the swings, lightly pushing ourselves back and forth with our feet.

"Tess?" I said, turning to her. "Can I ask you something?"

A curious expression on her face, she nodded. "Sure," she allowed.

I took a deep breath before asking seriously, "Are you a Savior?"

----------------------------------------------
Author's Note: Gettin down to it