Chapter 42

//Tess's POV

I looked up in confusion as I felt the truck slow to a stop. We had only been driving for around 9 hours. We couldn't be at the Sanctuary.

Someone opened the door to the back of the truck, causing light to flood in. I shielded my eyes.

Once my vision adjusted, I saw Negan standing at the opening.

I just looked at him.

After a moment, he made an impatient gesture. "Well, get out," he ordered, as if it should've been obvious.

I sighed softly and struggled out of the vehicle.

He slammed the door behind me.

"So," he said grandly. "We'll see you later."

I furrowed my eyebrows together tiredly. "Wait, what?" I asked.

"Well, we're letting you go," he explained. "You are of no further use to us."

And with that, he got in the front seat of the truck and sped.

I stood there for what felt like forever before I started to take everything in. I could see the betrayal plastered on everyone's face.

On Rick's face, on Glenn's...on Carl's.

I was going to kill Negan for lying to them.

I wanted to sit down in the middle of the road and cry, but I knew I couldn't. It was around midday and walking by night would be hard. I had to get back.

Taking a deep breath and taking out my knife, I looked around and tried to get my bearings.

I recognized the road. Carl and I drove down it on one of our rides.

"Okay," I whispered to myself and started walking back in the correct direction.

I wasn't going back home. My mom probably heard about what happened with Negan I didn't really feel like getting beaten up again.

I slowly rubbed my forearm as I continued to walk back to my chosen destination.

Just one foot in front of the other.

//Carl's POV

I started to walk back to my house after Michonne's funeral. My spirits had finally begun to rise a little because of last night, but the funeral sent them straight back to the ground.

Michonne had really become almost a mother to me, and she was gone.

I really didn't want to talk to anyone. I just wanted to close myself in my room and read the comics I had already read one hundred times.

Those plans went out the window when I heard a truck rolling up to the gate.

I curiously turned toward the noise and started walking towards it.

Rosita was already there pulling the cover aside, revealing Negan.

Seriously, this son of a bitch again?

She just stood there and stared at him in hate.

"Well, hello to you, too," he greeted smugly.

He turned his attention to me as I stopped next to her.

"Hello, Carl," he added, a bit more enthusiastic.

Neither of us responded to him.

After a moment, he made a gesture with his hands. "Aren't you gonna let me in?"

"Why should we?" Rosita asked, not bothering to hide her attitude.

"Just let him in," I whispered, knowing there was no use in starting another fight with him.

She threw me an annoyed look before sighing and opening the gate.

Negan smiled grandly and strolled in.

"What are you doing back here?" I asked, also not bothering to hide my attitude.

He feigned an offended look. "I just wanted to take a stroll around your town. Is there something wrong with that?"

"Considering you just helped Tess attack us, yeah, there kinda is," I said, my voice matter-of-fact.

That made Negan start laughing.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him, having absolutely no idea what the joke was.

Once he regained control and saw the utter confusion on my face, he leaned forward and said, "Tess didn't actually attack this place, shit head."

My vision seemed to tunnel. "Wait, what?" I asked in shock.

"Yeah," he sighed. "I lied to you, and you believed me. This was all me."

"Wait, so," I continued, my voice becoming smaller and smaller as I realized what a dumbass I was. "She didn't attack?"

He shook his head. "Nope," he confirmed, seeming to get a lot of joy out of torturing me. "In fact, she begged me to leave you guys alone."

I stumbled backward a little. The broken, pleading look she gave me. She wasn't begging me to forgive her. She was begging me not to believe Negan. Oh god, I needed to find her.

But she was most likely at the sanctuary.

"I need to go," I whispered, and walked away.

As I climbed over the walls, I knew that I couldn't try to save her. It would be a suicide mission.

I just needed to get out.

------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note: Well Carl is a big douche isn't he