Chapter 39

//Carl's POV

I swiftly climbed up the wall of Alexandria and dropped down on the other side.

I looked around in horror as guns went off left and right. I couldn't see anyone I recognized.

"Enid!" I called, the need to see that she was safe being too intense. "Enid!"

After a few moments of calling, I heard a female voice scream, "Carl!!"

I turned to see Enid running towards me, a scared look on her face.

I reached out and grabbed her hand as she stumbled to a stop in front of me.

"Are you okay?" she yelled over the commotion.

"Yeah," I called back. "Where's Derick?"

"God, I don't care!" she said exasperatedly and we ran off, her hand still in mine.

She didn't care? Wasn't Derick her boyfriend?

I watched as Glenn and Maggie engaged in a fight with two Saviors.

Letting go of Enid, I got out my gun and shot them in the head.

Breathing heavily, they looked at me and nodded in thanks.

I nodded back quickly before Enid and I ran off.

Suddenly, I heard a scream behind me. I turned to see Spencer getting stabbed multiple times in the chest.

I watched for a moment before I felt Enid tug on my sleeve.

"Carl, you can't help him, come on!" she yelled.

I sighed and nodded before running off with her and getting in a fight with three Saviors.

//Tess's POV

I sat in the corner of a cell room as Dwight guarded the door.

Chuckling slightly, I looked up at him. "So," I said sarcastically. "This is fun."

He didn't respond, just continued to look at me.

I sat up a little and leaned forward.

"Dwight," I said, wanting to actually have a real conversation with him. "Why do you follow him? I know you're not happy. You're working for a man that ironed your face and screws your wife every day. Why do you stay with him?"

He smiled bitterly before walking towards me.

"Do you think I want to?" he asked. "Do you really think I like it here? I don't. In fact, I was relieved when you came and stopped him from killing that Asian guy."

"He's Korean," I corrected.

"I don't have a choice," he told me harshly. "If I leave, he'll find me. He always does."

"You don't have to do it alone," I reminded him. "I'm sure there are people that would love to join you. They're all scared, they need a leader. They need you."

Dwight took a moment before taking another step towards me.

"What about you?" he asked accusingly. "You're asking me why I haven't left when you're sitting there with your gun on you and you haven't killed me."

I smiled a little. "I don't wanna kill you, Dwight. I don't wanna kill any of you. I want you guys to live your own life. It's so much better than living under the rule of someone else. Trust me, I know."

He was about to respond when the door opened.

Dwight and I watched as Negan walked whistling and twirling Lucille.