Chapter 32: Island Paradise

Trey has been really nervous the past few hours about going on an airplane.

He even googled "what are the chances of an airplane falling from the sky", which of course made me laugh.

We walk behind my parents and his mother toward the plane and now he seems more anxious than ever. Earlier he was joking about it, but now that we are about to board, he is a bundle of nerves, I can tell.

"Relax baby. It'll be fine." I tell him and he tries to smile but fails.

He sits in the window seat and I take my seat next to him. My parents are in front of us and his mother is in the window seat in front of them.

I have never seen him this nervous about anything before. Although I wish I could do something to make him relax, I do find him very adorable right now.

"I think I'm gonna have a panic attack." He tells me.

"You won't. You'll be okay." I smile at him. He nods and looks out the window.

I look through some brochures with places to visit in Jamaica.

"This is going to be the longest three hours and forty minutes of my entire life." He says still looking through the window.

I laugh, "Trey you're overreacting." I shake my head.

"Overreacting?" He whispers dramatically. His facial expression makes me laugh. He looks at me like I have two heads.

"We're about to be forty thousand feet off the ground and you think I'm overreacting?" He asks emphasizing the word thousand.

"Relax, you're making me nervous too." I tell him and he apologizes.

"I was nervous the first time too. After twenty minutes you'll calm down." I attempt to relax him.

"Okay." He says, but he keeps bouncing his leg up and down, informing me that he is still uneasy.

After a few minutes the air hostess and pilot address us. They give us the usual instructions before informing us that we will take off in five minutes.

"If anything happens, I want you to know that I love you. Always." He tells me quietly. His serious expression and tone make me want to kiss him, but I refrain.

"I love you too, but we'll be fine." I reply quietly as well, so my parents don't hear.

A few minutes later the plane's engine starts. Trey closes his eyes and swallows. I take his hand in mine.

His eyes remain closed as the plane cruises along the runway. I lace my fingers through his and he squeezes my hand tightly.

He pulls his bottom lip between his teeth and sinks his teeth into it. Seconds later the plane takes off.

"You can open your eyes now." I tell him. He opens one eye first, then the other.

He looks down in amazement.

"Wow." He says quietly.

"Beautiful, right?"

"Very."

"Ah!" He jumps slightly and his fingers cover his ears.

"My ears just popped." He says.

I dig into my purse for my chewing gums and take out a few.

"Here, chew on this, it'll help. It's because of the change in the air pressure." I inform him. I give three sticks of gum to my parents and his mom as well.

"Thanks."

I fall asleep minutes into reading the brochures.

Three hours and some minutes later I feel Trey waking me up. I mumble sleepily.