Chapter 38: Holding Out

I haven't seen Trey in over a week. The day I moved into the apartment was the last time I saw him. He didn't come back the next day because he was tired after working late and had to leave early. That's what he's been saying everyday. If it weren't for Shanise and Olivia who live in the same apartment, I'd be bored out of my mind.

I know he's busy but I'm still a little hurt that he can't make time for me. Even though I shouldn't be. He's working really hard.

I try to keep my focus on the professor ahead of me but the combination of his slow speech and the murmuring around me makes it nearly impossible.

My phone vibrates in my pocket the way it usually does at this time of the day when Trey is on his break. My spot in the back of the large room allows me to answer it without the lecturer spotting me.

"Hi." I say into the speaker.

"Hey baby. What's up?" He asks.

"I'm in a class." I tell him.

"Oh shit. Sorry. I'll call you back later."

"No, no No one's paying attention anyways. Plus the professor is boring me to death."

He chuckles. "Sure am glad that part of my life's over. Hated it."

"Just a few months till winter break." I remind him but more so, myself.

"Yeah. Then we can see each other more often. " he says.

"I miss you." I say quietly.

"I miss you too babe. But they've been killing me with work. I'll see you on Sunday. It's the only day I'll be free."

I sigh deeply." Okay."

I don't think it's healthy to be this attached to someone. A day without him feels like a lifetime.

"Yeah. I promise. " he adds.

"How's school going?"

"Hard." I admit. "The transition from high school to college isn't as smooth as everyone makes it out to be."

"Hmm, you'll be alright babe. Just don't let them stress you. I know you're doing your best." He says.

"I am. But you know what would make it so much easier?"

"What's that?" He asks. I can tell he's eating.

"If I could come home to my boyfriend who could help me unwind after a hard day at school."

"Yeah, that would be great. But you know..."

"Yeah, yeah I know." I cut him off.

"When are you gonna tell them?" He asks.

"When I feel like it. They know I'm okay so that's all that matters." I sigh.

After a few seconds he speaks.

"I can't wait to see you Sunday. I've been... deprived."

I chuckle lightly. "Me too. I don't know how to satisfy myself."

"I'll be more than happy to demonstrate." He says and I squeeze my thighs together to ease the slight ache that his words have caused.

A loud bang on a desk and a shout from my professor to my class indicates that I should end the call.

"I'll call you later. My professors getting annoyed with us." I tell him.

"Okay I'll call you later again."

"Alright, later.

"Bye babe." He says before I hang up.

I spend the rest of the hour trying to stay awake and take notes.