Chapter 35: Unfaithful

I knock on the door of my parents' suite for what feels like the hundredth time but they do not respond to me. I assume that they can't even hear me over their yelling.

What the hell are they fighting about? Of all the eighteen years of my life, this is the first time I've ever heard them fight like this.

I pound on the door again.
"Dad open this door now!" I order but I am still ignored.

I press my ear against the door and I hear my mom's voice.

"No Cory, you don't get to decide that, I'm sick and tired of your fucking crap!" She shouts.

This is the first time I've ever heard her shout and curse. She's usually so calm and collected.

"Kelly isn't a child anymore, I don't have to put up with your shit for her sake anymore. We are done! Get the hell out!"

Shit. What the hell did he do?

My father tries to calm my mom down but there's no stopping her. It's like she's been holding her anger for a long while and she's finally releasing it.

"Get the hell out!" She yells and he doesn't respond.

Seconds later the door is pulled away from my ear and I step back and look into my father's defeated eyes.

"What did you do?" I question him angrily.

"Not now Kelly." He responds quietly and steps past me.

I contemplate whether or not to go in and talk to my mom while she's in this furious state.

I want to know what happened so I decide to go in.

"Mom?" She turns around to face me and wipes her wet cheeks and eyes with her hands. I've never seen her sob this much either.

"What's going on?" I ask.

She sighs before sitting down on the white couch and patting the space next to her.

I sit down and look at her awaiting an explanation.

"He's been seeing another woman." She says sadly and my mouth falls open.

"Oh my God." I whisper and she nods, holding back tears.

The words that come to mind aren't words that I ever thought I'd use to describe my father.

"That's not even the worst part." She half laughs but I can tell it's not genuine. I can also tell what I'm about to hear is absolutely not good.

"He got her pregnant." She says and I rise from my seat involuntarily.

"What the fuck!" I shout, not bothering to watch my mouth.

"Sixteen years ago." She adds quietly.

"What?" I ask, confused, angry and hurt all at the same time.

"You have a sister, and she's sixteen years old." She says calmly.

"No I don't! What the hell? How can you be so calm about this? Have you known all these years?"

She nods. "Oh my God... And you didn't think I deserved to know?"

"I wanted to tell you, but your father begged me not to."

"How could he? How could you!" I almost sob but hold it back.

"Kelly, please try to understand." She says.

"Oh I understand.. My parents have been lying to me for most of my life." I stomp out of suite angrily.

I go straight to the only person who could possibly comfort me right now.