Chapter 29: Truth Revealed

My mom has been calling our relatives with tears in her eyes to tell them that her only child is going to NYU.

"Mom, is this really necessary?"

"Of course, don't you want to know how proud your family is of you?"

"I already know mom, you don't need to call everyone."

"I'm off to work." My dad says as he walks in shrugging on his jacket.

"What time will you be back?" My mom questions him.

"Not sure." He states, which earns him a skeptical look from my mother. Why? I'm not sure.

"I'm still thinking of what to get you as a going away present Kelly. I'm really proud of you princess." He tells me for what feels like the hundredth time since I made the announcement at dinner yesterday.

"I know dad." I smile at him.

My smile fades when Trey walks in wearing a perfectly fitted suit and tie. If I didn't know he was such a snake I'd say he looks hot.

Today's his job interview. I really don't care how it goes. The hatred I had for him when I saw him laying under Melissa is still there.

"Ready Trey?" My dad asks him.

"Yeah." He responds.

I keep my eyes focused on the magazine I'm reading, even though I can feel his eyes on me, like they always are whenever we're in the same room.

"Good luck with the interview, Trey" my mom tells him.

"Thanks." He replies before leaving with my dad.

"I'd better go get ready for work." My mom says quietly, without her usual cheery tone.

What was that about?

When my parents leaves for work, usually it's just Trey, Ms Bryan and I in the house. Usually this would be the time that Trey and I spent alone. His mom is usually cooking, reading, or watching television.

But that was then. That was before I saw what I saw. He's really good though, seems like he's had a lot of practice. I wonder how many girls he's manipulated into having sex with him. I bet he's done it to all of them.

Except Melissa, I'm sure she didn't need any persuasion. She probably even came on to him first.

He's even worse than her. She actually expressed her dislike for me, he pretended to love me.

I didn't even realize I was crying until a teardrop hit the page of the magazine I was looking at. I wipe my cheeks before heading up to my room to try to get some sleep. I haven't done much of that since Trey ripped my heart to shreds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later,when I wake up, the memory of Trey and Melissa creeps into my mind and tears fall down my temples and into my ears.

I sit up in my bed and dry my tears with my hands.

Get it together, Kelly, get it together.

When will I stop feeling this way. When will I stop feeling hurt every time I remember. When will I forget that my first love was just a dumb player. I hope it's soon because I can't handle the pain of heartbreak, I'm not used to it and it's not something that can be cured with medication, so I just have to bare it for as long as it lasts. I hate this feeling, and I hate Trey and Melissa for causing it.

I head downstairs in search of food but I stop on the stairs when I see Trey's back turned to me and his mom facing him. Her eyes are red and watery. She's crying.