I

• The Steps •

• The Steps •

When I was a little boy my grandfather told me, my brothers and my cousins something I'll never forget. My grandfather came straight from Haiti to America where he eventually joined a branch of the biggest gang in America, the U.S. army, next to Police officers of course. When he got out, him and my grandmother moved to Compton where they raised their family. Where they raised the first generation of gang members in our family tree. Every last one of their kids was a member of the Piru Street Family from my Momma, my uncles to my Aunt Edna.

My grandfather told us little boys that this world ain't meant for black men to succeed and we need to realize that now. You're going to have to try a little harder and fight a little harder, but it can't be done alone. If you move in numbers you'll have a better chance because a group of black men armed with knowledge is more fearful than one. Nothing is just given to black people. We have to earn it while they get it handed to them. The saying hard work pays off isn't always true. So if they don't want to give it, take it.

My brother took every wise word my grandfather said to heart. Even a little too seriously. My grandfather started a gang by accident and didn't even know it. Next thing you know my two older brothers had started 2N Gangster Crip. At the time I was too young to even understand what they were doing and why. I just knew my brothers had a clique and they were the leaders. They were the shit to me.

But it wasn't until my father was killed that I realized they were more than just a group of homies hanging out all day.

1997.

• Step One: Observe the Game •

I sat on the floor in front of the tv with a joystick in my hand playing Crash Bandicoot. My eyes shifted across the screen as I pushed buttons when my Pops yelled, "Joey!"

Not even pausing I looked in his direction saying, "Yes sir?" as he stood in the kitchen looking through the mail.

"What I tell you about sitting so close to the tv? Your ass is gonna be blind. Matter of fact, get up. Come take a ride with me. You need to get out of the house." I sighed looking back over at the tv screen to see I died. I probably fell when I was supposed to jump. I turned my Nintendo 64 off then got up going by my Dad. I watched as he put a Dodgers baseball cap over his head that had a low top fade.

According to my grandfather the reason he moved to Compton is because his favorite baseball player, who played for the Dodgers, was from here. I don't think he knew Compton would get so bad. It wasn't like it is now when he moved there. Then my parents decided to move to Long Beach to get us away from that. Long Beach was no better than Compton.

I watched as my Dad dug around a wire basket then grabbed his car keys. As we walked out of the gate of our yard my Dad waved and yelled something to the old woman across the street. I stood by the passenger door waiting for my Dad to unlock the doors to his red 1997 Pontiac Firebird. My Dad switched up cars so much it was hard to keep up. If he saw someone else in the hood with that car he went and got a new one. I always wondered how my Pops got money. He didn't leave bright and early in the morning in a suit like normal adults.