LIX

The 2N Gang in me wants to slap you niggas sometimes, but we past that.
-Vince Staples

• Many Men •

Dyme
Long Beach, CA.
A few weeks later...

"No, I can't," Matika whines not wanting to take the gun from me as I roll my eyes

"No, I can't," Matika whines not wanting to take the gun from me as I roll my eyes. She has on the shooting glasses and the earmuffs looking like a scared puppy as soon as the gun touched her hand. I asked her to come to the shooting range with me, so I could get some target practice in, but suddenly I was becoming a teacher.

"You're telling me you've never touched a gun in your life?" I say not believing it.

"No! Just cause I'm from the hood doesn't mean I'm bout that life. I use my fists, Dyme. Everybody in Compton doesn't own a gun."

"Y'all could've fooled me," I mumble making her glare at me. "You can't even lie, y'all be shooting shit out there."

"Not me. I don't like guns. Why are we here anyway?"

"Because I need to sharpen my shot." I was partially lying.

After that random phone call that one day some weird shit has been happening. Weird phone calls and texts. Even after I got my number changed I'm still getting them. Then someone threw a rock through the window of my Porsche. Everybody tried to say maybe one of the neighborhood kids did it, but I don't buy it. And I keep seeing this one particular car a lot of places I go. It's a distinct car that I can spot. It's not like it's a common car. It feels like someone is always following me and watching me. I never go anywhere alone anymore. It's no coincidence if you ask me.

"Yeah, but why? Are you going to war or something? I don't get it. Marcel is always coming to the gun range too."

"So you're prepared if something goes down. If you stay ready, you never have to get ready. When it comes down to it, I need to be able to protect myself and especially my children. You do too."