LIV

Joey's my cousin; niggas don't know that's my family. I done known that nigga my whole life. That's my nigga...I will take Joey's side if it ever gets to that level because that's my relative.
-Vince Staples

• Do as They Do •

• Do as They Do •

Joey
Long Beach, CA.

I park my car in front of the address I was given

I park my car in front of the address I was given. I watch from a distance seeing Detective Reed standing in front of a group of guys sitting on a porch talking to them. I've had a private investigator watching him for weeks and now it's time to put this to an end. I get out of my car walking towards the house. I had my phone in my pocket already recording as I approached. All of the guys shift their eyes towards me making Detective Reed stop talking then turn around looking at me.

"What are you doing here?" He asks looking me up and down.

"The better question is what are you doing here?"

"I'm doing my job. What are you doing?" He asks back as I laugh to myself.

"Does your job entail hiring gang members to do your dirty work for you?"

"Excuse me?" He says frowning up his face.

"You've been hiring gang members for years to kill other gang members when they're not found guilty and let off the hook. Making your own laws and getting your own justice. You took it a step too far when you asked them to kidnap and kill someone's child. This ends here," I say with a smirk.

He steps forward laughing inwardly. "Does it? And how do you think you'll put it to a stop? You have no power. I'm on the side of the law. I have all the power."

"And I have all the proof," I say pulling a recorder out of my pocket. I hit the play button where he can be heard telling them to kidnap Maurice. I hit stop sticking it back in my pocket as he his face falls. "Looks like I have all the power. I want you to resign from your job. You have two days to do so. If you don't your department and the news will get ahold of everything I have."