XXVI

I tell everybody what is going on. When I ain't got money, people know I ain't got money. And when I got it, they know I got it.
-Joey Fatts

• Karma •

2015

Deja.
Long Beach, CA.

I pull up in front of my mothers house in Long Beach parking my car

I pull up in front of my mothers house in Long Beach parking my car. I honestly haven't seen her since I knew I was pregnant and I started to show. I was so nervous and scared to see how she'll take it. I know my Mom and I know how dramatic she can be. I sigh as I take my key out of the ignition. I grab my purse then get out of my car walking towards the house. Every step felt heavy and slow. Finally getting up to the porch, I knock on the door and wait. I didn't call before coming or anything.

The door finally swings open, but instead of it being my mother behind it, it's my sister, Indiya. I hadn't seen her in months right along with my mother. I said I forgave her, but I really didn't. I was still angry on the low and holding a grudge towards her. If she called or text me, I ignored her. How stupid does it look to be pregnant by the guy who cheated on me with my sister? But that's the choice I made when I started messing with him again.

"If it ain't, Deja! I was starting to wonder if you were alive. Finally got time to visit and not be under that rich, football nigga." She says opening the door wider to let me in. I was hoping she wouldn't be here and I could just talk to my mother.

"I'm not with him anymore," I state simply as I walk in. I readjust my bag on my shoulder looking down at the large hoodie I'm wearing. It was Joey's and it covers my belly since I'm still small at 18 weeks. I look around the house asking, "Where's Momma?"

"Her room," Indya responds.

"Can you get her?" I ask as I sit on the couch. I watch as Indya walks off to the back. I know this is going to be a shit show once I tell her. I unzip my jacket then take it off throwing it over the armrest of the couch.

When my mom walks out with Indya behind her I stand up from the couch. My mom looks from my face to my stomach. "Awl hell!" Indya says as my Mom remains quiet.