XXXIV

I had reached the point where I was going through a lot of shit in life---a lot of my family was incarcerated, I watched my cousin; my best friend for most of my life, die in the hospital then come back to life.
-Vince Staples

• Shit To Lose •

• Shit To Lose •

2015.

Marcel.
Long Beach, CA.

I smiled to myself looking at all of the kids playing at Ramona Park during my youth institute program launch

I smiled to myself looking at all of the kids playing at Ramona Park during my youth institute program launch. It was just yesterday I posted up with my crew just getting into trouble over here. This was once a high risk area of Long Beach constantly monitored by police. Now it's the place for recreational teams and activities thanks to the city of Long Beach, my backing and my money. This is why I make music...To be able to help others which is exactly what this program does. It's going to assist 20 kids with filmmaking, music production, and product design.

A lady from the Long Beach Press-Telegram came up to me with a recorder asking, "Why is helping your community so important to you?"

"I think the most important thing is opportunities. What I can say is, living here my entire life, I've never had an opportunity given to me from the area. Only examples of how to mess up and what I didn't want to do. I want to be able to be one of the people that reinforces the fact that we matter just as much as the next person."

She nodded her head then I walked off when I spotted Matika. I walked behind her snaking my arm around her waist kissing her cheek. "You're lucky I realized it was you or I would've popped you in the eye."

"You weren't gon do shiiieet!" I said all in her face making her mush me back.

"Aiight, you must forget I'm from Compton. My daddy was a Piru, don't play."

"Ohhh, you done turned hood on me real quick. Thanks for putting this together, by the way."

"No problem," she said as we walked towards the kids. A kid ran by us brushing past Matika causing her to yell, "Excuse you!" He just continued running. "Kids don't have any manners nowadays." I was just glad to back on good terms with her after finding out about my son with Char.