White blood cells

Why would Zac just shoe me off to my bed and not talk to me?

It doesn't make sense. I don't think I said anything wrong. And I don't think I have been mean to him.

Maybe he hasn't forgiven me when we broke up?

Jessy get real! That was ages ago!

But what is it then?!

Frustration builds in me. And anger clenches onto my heart. I hate him. He isn't being human at the moment. I'm dying and he's telling me to stay in bed!

There's a knock on my door. And through the glass I can see a friendlier face.

Luke!

I nod for him to come in.

"How you doing?" He asks nicely.

"How can men be so rude. Seriously. I've done nothing wrong but Zac seems to think I have. He's just a-"

"Jessy," Luke interrupts." What on earth are you on about?"

"Zac! Pay attention Luke!" I yell in frustration. Another annoying man.

"I have been. I just wanted to know how you are. Not what you're thinking or feeling." Luke says in a warm, soft voice.

"You don't care about me. Great!"

"No I wasn't-" Luke try's to say.

"Just get out!" I yell angrily pointing to the door. Luke follows my instructions and leaves.

"Wait-" but I'm too late. The door was slummed firmly shut.

What have I done now?

Almost everyone hates me.

Another knock on the door. This time I don't bother looking.

"What!?" I yell angrily.

The door opens and closes softly.

"It's me Jessy. Is it okay to sit?" It's Jade I acknowledge.

"Can I sit?" I must have not heard the last sentence because Jade was now pointing a bit frustrated.

"Sorry, yes please do." I say. Gesturing to one of two seats.

Jade places her bag on the floor and sits cross legged thinking about something.

A moment of silence occurs. Giving us both time to think about what to say or do next.

"Hey." Jade says in a soft voice with a hint of sadness.

"Hey." I reply because it's normal to.

This is strange. I've never been in a room with Jade and it be so quiet. It's really airy. I almost expect tumbleweed to blow past now. And sand to be flicked into my eyes and mouth.

I'm describing a desert! Great! My best friend seems sad and I'm here describing a desert!

A loud sob breaks my thought.

"Hey, Jade. It's okay." I tell her as I sit up, wondering how long I've not been listening.

"No it's not! You're dying and I can't do anything to help. Instead I just cry and pray that you get better." Another loud sob.

"You are helping me Jade. Just by being here. And crying is okay. I cry sometimes. It's okay to not be strong all the time. And it's okay to not know what to do." Hopefully that sounded more inspiring and encouraging then it was in my head.

"But I don't want you to die!" Jade says followed by a few loud sobs.

"I don't want to either." I say hoping she can't hear my head going crazy.

"Then don't. Please!"

"I will try." I reply. I can't promise not to die.

"Trying isn't good enough! Promise me you won't."

"I promise I will try."

Knock knock.

"Come in." I yell.

"Sorry about that Jessy. I had to take care of something." It's Doctor Zac. "Now you're tests show an increase of white blood cells. Which is normal for cancer patients. But it's abnormally high. Now it could be your cancer has got worse or just your body is producing too much." What the hell! I think to myself.

"So am I dying or not? That's all I care about." Zac is a frustrating man. I just want to cut to the chase.

"Well, yes."

"Thank you. The door is there." I point towards it.

I don't want him in here while I cry. It's not a pretty site I tell you.

Who would want to see me cry? It's horrible.

I feel a tear roll down my face.

I'm sorry mum, but this world is just not my place.

"Jade I need a favor." I state.

"Anything."

"Help me. It's either live or die." I don't know which I want anymore. I did know. But now hearing I have a lot of white blood cells make me think my time is coming to an end, and fast.