Ch.25 Headlights

*Ring* * Ring*

"Hello?" I answered, my voice hoarse.

"Lauren??"

"Umm......yeah, who's this???"  I knew exactly who this was, but why call that late- or early??

"It's Jayden. Look I know it's one in the morning, but I really need you."

"Okay......Is everything okay??"

" Mia got into a car accident. She was with her friends who were editors and there were other people too and then she said she was going to hang out with them in the club and all and then she called me too pick her up but I told her I was too busy with Vanessa so she drove back home when she was drunk. This is all my fault. This is just me not learning from the first time, this is all my doing. This is...."

"STOP! Okay?? It's not your fault so stop blaming yourself. Now tell me, is Mia okay??"

"She's in the ER right now. What have I done?? Oh, god."

"Jayden, tell me right now where are you?? Which hospital??"

"Umm, Mountain View Hospital. "

"Okay, stay where you are. Calm down. Pray for her. Okay?? And most of all, DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID."

With the lights off, I changed into a random pair of shorts and a shirt. I grabbed my phone, the key to my hotel room and left. As the cab drove towards the hospital and away from the hotel, my anxiety grew bigger and bigger. What if she didn't make it?? But she's Mia, of course she'd make it. Right??

"Hey, any news??"

"Lauren," said Jayden. He looked relieved that I was there, and then walked till there was barely any space between us and he hugged me. He hugged me tightly. Like I was his sister. Like I was Mia

I tapped him on the back, then pushed him away from me. I looked at him and while I was still holding his arms, I said: "Everything is going to be alright, okay?? I promise."

"How do you know??" He said that as a tear rolled down his cheek.

"I don't. That's the point, Jayden. You've got a journey to go through, a journey of a thousand miles. A thousand miles of light on a dark and windy road. Everyone goes on that journey. But not everyone comes back. All you gotta do to come back is find your way back to where you belong."

"How do I-how do I do that??"

"You just have to follow your headlights. You don't have to see where you're going as long as you follow your headlights."

"My headlights?!"

"Your guiding light. What guides when you're lost?? Who guides you when you're lost?? That guide is your headlight and you just have to follow it."

"So if I follow this headlight, I'll be alright?? Will Mia be alright??"

"Maybe you'll be alright, maybe you don't have to know. And that's how you find your headlight. You find where your hope lies."

"I don't have any hope, Lauren. Mia was my only hope."

"No, she's not. She might've been one headlight, but there are others left. Think Jayden, what makes you happy??"

"Ummm........"

"Jayden, it's okay, you can tell me. You HAVE to tell me, I won't judge you or pity you; but you have to let it out."

"Well.......my childhood makes me happy."

"Okay, what exactly in your childhood memories makes you happy??"