Ch.31 Sparks Fly

Jayden's POV:

"Jayden??"

I turned around to find a black figure at the other end of the street. I couldn't identify the person by their features; it was dark, it was raining, and they were simply far away. However, I wouldn't mistake that voice for the world.

"Lauren??"

As I walked up to the other end of the street, her features began to mould on her face. Her dark brown hair wet from the rain, her brown eyes, and her long eyebrows. Even though I did get closer, I kept some distance between between us. I did not know what was coming, but the fact that she had followed me here gave me hope.

"You came back," she said approvingly.

"I did."

"How's Mia??"

"She's fine," I said, disappointed that she didn't ask about me. I wasn't going to make her mistake, though:"How are you??"

"Oh, I'm okay."

I nodded; everything I had prepared to say just vanished and I was left with a blank hole in my head.

"Why did you come back, Jayden??"

"I came back for you."

She looked surprised of what I just said, surprised I was that blunt.

"Lauren, we have been playing this game of cat and mouse for way too long. You chasing me, me chasing you. I do somethings stupid, you get mad. Giving each other stares and indirect moves. I'm done with that, I'm sick of ALL that. I want you back."

Her mouth was open. Nope. She did not expect me to do that.

"You never called."

I was take aback by that, was I supposed to call? I mean, I did go through a flight of babies crying and kids whining so wasn't it better if she saw me in person?? Except if......

"Do you remember when you called me up at one in the morning, the time you told me you needed me more than anyone??"

"Of course I do, but what does it have to do with all this??"

"For the past two weeks, I've waited for your calls. But instead I got nothing. And I just didn't want to call you because I knew you wouldn't pick up. I gave up hope after a while and there was only one question I kept asking myself: Do you ever miss me?? Because all I know is that we were so close and now it's like I don't you anymore. I just wanna know: Is it that easy to forget me??" 

"Lauren, I NEVER forgot you. You think I forgot you?? I was thinking about you the whole time. Every single minute of every single day for the past two weeks I was thinking about you. The moment you left the hospital room I wanted to go after you, to tell you that I want you. To convince you that you should stay, but I wasn't the one who left, Lauren. You were. You left."

"I left?? Well, I have a life, Jayden. I have family, friends, and goddammit I'm still in school. I couldn't leave everything behind. I couldn't leave my life behind. I think we both know that, Jayden.  That's why you came: because you knew I couldn't let go of everything. Not yet."

"I have a life too, you know?? I have a sister and a job to get back to. And I left it all behind for you."

"A job?? Yeah, the job that includes you making out with your boss's daughter."

"That again?? You turned me down. I apologized and you rejected me. I never liked Veronica. It was one freaking kiss."

"You didn't like her??"

"Never," I said as I sighed in relief.  She was finally getting my point.

"I really want to believe you Jayden, I really want to. But if you never liked her, then why were you kissing her?? Where you toying with her?? And if you were, why should I be any different??"

"I am trying really hard here, okay?? But you seem to want us to go our separate ways."

"No Jayden, I just don't want to be heartbroken. Again."

"Well, you really wanna know??  I wasn't toying with her, okay?? She was toying with me. It's funny how you thought of the snake as the victim. But I guess that's what she wants you to believe. My parents died, I was devastated and she took advantage. She never liked me. I never liked her. And you're different, Lauren. You are. Because I like you. Because I love you."

"Oh Jayden, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to..." she said shaking her head at the mention of my parents.

I had enough of all the talking. All the assumptions, accusations, explanations, apologies. It was all so tiring.

I walked up to her and stopped when there was a very short distance between us. I could feel her warm breath on my face.  I was a little hesitant; she didn't say it back. She didn't love me back. That didn't changed my feelings towards her.

"When I first met you, you got me thinking that there's a reason I've never felt this way about anyone before. The last thing I wanted was to get into a relationship with someone. It was after I met you that I realized getting into a relationship was the first thing I needed. You, Lauren, were the one chance I didn't wanna take, but if I hadn't, it would've been my biggest mistake."

"I love you too," she whispered.

That was my go - signal.

Her hair was wet, and so were my face, shirt, and jeans. But there we were, not caring that we were soaked through in the summer rain. I looked in her sparkling, brown eyes and I felt my heart beat faster. I placed both hands on her cheeks, leaned in, and whispered in her ear:

"That night, at the hospital, you told me I had to find my headlight.I think I just found my brightest one."

She gave me a weak smile, that was all I needed.

I cupped her chin in my hands and guided it up to my face. I leaned in for the kiss, soft and sweet, passionate and romantic. She kissed back, leaned her body in closer, just to feel each other's warmth. I could taste the salt in the rain. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the moment we both have been trying to avoid for three weeks.

There were almost no cars on the road; only the trees above us knew just how caught up in the moment we were. It was perfect, nothing could beat it. In that kiss I knew she was the one.

I knew at that moment that it couldn't get better than this, because right now, I felt something I never knew I missed. At that moment, I felt the sparks that flew all around.