Chapter 40: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry stared at his clock impatiently. 6:33am. It was nearly time. At twenty-five-to-seven every morning, Hermione got up and went down to the common room to read. Her birthday had never been any exception before. 6:34am. Harry couldn't wait any longer. Climbing out of bed quietly, he reached into his trunk for the unwrapped present he had bought for Hermione over the Summer. The only reason Harry hadn't wrapped it was because of the pair's yearly unspoken tradition: each year they had know each other for (aside from their second year, when they had most certainly discussed it), Harry had scared Hermione on the morning of her birthday. And this year, Harry planned to do it in a very different way than he had before.

As Harry reached the common room silently, he saw Hermione on the sofa, reading the copy of Magick Moste Evile that Harry had given her the previous year. Tiptoeing up behind her, Harry held the large present out at arms length. It was a typewriter. Bracing himself, Harry pressed the carriage return lever, causing the shiny black typewriter to let out a very loud 'ding', which echoed around the room.

Hermione jumped up and screamed, nearly hitting her head on the typewriter. "Harry!" She laughed quietly. Her jaw dropped when she saw the typewriter,"Harry..."

"Happy Birthday!" Harry handed it to her, striding around the sofa and sitting down next to her.

"How...how much did this cost?" Hermione breathed.

Harry sighed. He really hadn't wanted Hermione to ask him that. After all, there was a reason that was the only thing he had gotten her. "Doesn't matter." He muttered quickly, turning away.

"How much?"

He sighed,"Seventy-five pounds."

"Seventy-five pounds?"

"I converted the money from my Gringotts vault into pounds..."

"But that's..." Hermione counted on her fingers,"fifteen galleons!"

"Yeah." Harry nodded,"Figured you'd need another one after those girls broke your old one. I hope it's okay."

"Harry," Hermione smiled,"I love it. Thank you."

Later that afternoon, Harry and Hermione were outside by the Black Lake, talking about Ron.

"Harry, I think he's just jealous." Hermione said patiently.

"Great." Harry said bitterly,"Really great. Tell him from me I'll swap any time he wants. Tell him from me he's welcome to it...people gawping at my forehead everywhere I go-"

"No." Hermione said shortly,"I'm not telling him anything. Tell him yourself, it's the only way to sort this out."

"I'm not running around after him trying to make him grow up!" Harry said loudly, causing a few owls in a nearby tree to fly away,"Maybe he'll believe I'm not enjoying myself once I've got my neck broken or-"

"That's not funny." Hermione said quietly,"That's not funny at all." She shook her head,"Harry, I've been thinking, you know what you've got to do, don't you? Straight away, the moment we get back to the castle?"

"Yeah, give Ron a good kick up the-"

"Write to Sirius. You've got to tell him what's happened. With your dream, the World Cup, the competition and Ron."