Chapter 47: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Hermione had made Harry another cake for his birthday. It was smaller than the last one had been, but the icing had been a lot better. This cake had been a devil's food cake, with a very large Firebolt iced intricately on the top. It had been delicious, and Harry had wolfed it down in a matter of days.

Now, he was at Grimmauld Place and things weren't exactly happier than they had been at the Dursleys'. Sirius winked at Harry as he followed Mrs. Weasley's orders and went upstairs to find Ron and Hermione, much to Harry's hidden delight. Molly had told him they were in the third room to the left on the second floor. Harry carefully pushed open the door. He had barely set foot in the room when Hermione crashed into him and hugged him, nearly knocking him flat. She didn't seem to be able to say anything as she pulled away. Ron shuffled towards them nervously and gave Harry an awkward high-five. Ron and Hermione suddenly launched into explaining everything Harry didn't know, from all of what they could gather about the Order of the Phoenix to what Dumbledore had had them swear not to tell him.

"Maybe," Harry said slowly, watching Ron and Hermione's expressions,"he thinks I can't be trusted."

Ron looked highly disconcerted,"Don't be thick..."

"Or that I can't take care of myself."

"Of course he doesn't think that!" Ron gaped at him.

"So how come I have to stay at the Dursleys' while you two get to join in everything that's going on here?" Harry said, the words tumbling over one another in a rush, his voice growing louder with every word,"How come you two are allowed to know everything that's going on?"

"We're not! Mum won't let us near the meetings. She says we're too young-"

But before he knew it, Harry was shouting,"SO YOU HAVEN'T BEEN IN THE MEETINGS, BIG DEAL! YOU'VE STILL BEEN HERE, HAVEN'T YOU? YOU'VE STILL BEEN TOGETHER! ME, I'VE BEEN STUCK AT THE DURSLEYS' FOR A MONTH! AND I'VE HANDLED MORE THAN YOU TWO'VE EVER MANAGED AND DUMBLEDORE KNOWS IT - WHO SAVED THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE? WHO GOT RID OF RIDDLE? WHO SAVED BOTH YOUR SKINS FROM THE DEMENTORS?"

Every bitter and resentful thought Harry had had in the past month was pouring out of him. He didn't mean a word of it - he hadn't wanted to say anything at all - but the words wouldn't stop. Ron looked mildly terrified, but Hermione was standing still, deadpan, seemingly waiting for him to finish.

"WHO HAD TO GET PAST DRAGONS AND SPHINXES AND EVERY OTHER FOUL THING LAST YEAR? WHO SAW V-HIM COME BACK? WHO HAD TO ESCAPE FROM HIM? ME!"

Harry didn't want to say Voldemort's name that loudly. He was certain most of the house could already hear him, but he didn't care. Not enough to stop him shouting, anyway.

"BUT WHY SHOULD I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON? WHY SHOULD ANYONE BOTHER TO TELL ME WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENING?"

"We wanted to tell you, mate, we really did-"

"CAN'T'VE WANTED TO THAT MUCH, CAN YOU, OR YOU'D HAVE SENT ME AN OWL, BUT DUMBLEDORE MADE YOU SWEAR-"

"Well," Ron's voice was squeaky,"he did."

"FOUR WEEKS I'VE BEEN STUCK IN PRIVET DRIVE, NICKING PAPERS OUT OF BINS TO TRY AMD FIND OUT WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON-"

Ron stepped nervously towards the door,"We wanted to-"