Chapter 61: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

"Harry!" Neville tugged at Harry's cloak one cold December morning,"Harry, I need your help."

"Hello, Neville."

Neville looked very jumpy. At least, a lot more so than usual. He spoke quickly,"You know Professor Slughorn's having a party?" Harry nodded. "Well, I've sort of got someone I'd like to ask to go with me...I just don't know how. Can you help me?"

"Sure." Harry grinned at Neville,"You should know, though, I'm not particularly experienced in the 'asking people out' department."

"Well, then," Neville looked quite confused,"how did you get Hermione to go to the Yule Ball with you?"

A wave of happy memories flooded through Harry. The Yule Ball had been the greatest night of his life, there was no denying it. But Harry hadn't properly gone with Hermione; he had asked her as a friend because he was scared. Suddenly, protectiveness surged through Harry and he vowed not to let Neville go through the same thing he had had to. "We...er...only went as friends. Doesn't really count. Anyway," Harry said boldly,"it shouldn't be too hard. Just go up to them when the time is right and say 'Hi there, would you like to come to the party with me?' and they'll do the rest."

"Thanks, Harry." Neville beamed,"If she says no, it won't be the end of the world, will it?"

"See? You've already got the hang of this."

"Harry, I think the time is right." Neville declared bravely.

"Then go and get her!" Harry clapped Neville on the back as he rushed from the room. As he left, Hermione walked in, the Daily Prophet in her hands.

She grinned,"Looks like he's got somewhere important to be."

"He's asking someone to the Christmas party."

"Really?" Hermione clapped her hands together in delight,"Who?"

"Didn't say." Harry scolded himself for not asking,"Reckon she's in another house, though. Most of Gryffindor's in here." He gestured to the busy common room.

"Oh, I hope she says yes!"

"So do I."

Hermione glanced around the room anxiously,"Harry, do you...um...are you going to the party with anyone yet?"

"No, not yet." He replied awkwardly,"You?"

"No."

"Oh."

"Harry?"

"Y-yeah?" Harry felt something do an excited little flip inside of him.

"Have you ever...are you familiar with someone called Romilda Vane?" Hermione asked.

"No. Why?" Harry said flatly, trying to hide his disappointment.

"Follow me." Hermione led Harry out of the common room and all the way to the library, where she pointed out a tall Ravenclaw girl with dark brown curly hair. Harry had seen her before; she had been one of the girls who had been desperate for him to take her to the Yule Ball in their fourth year. "This," Hermione whispered,"is Romilda Vane."

"Lovely."

Hermione narrowed her eyes a little,"No, you don't understand. She's been trying to smuggle you a love potion."

"Really?" Harry stared over Hermione's shoulder at Romilda.

"Hey!" Hermione snapped her fingers in front of Harry's face,"She's only interested in you because she thinks you're the Chosen One."