19. the markings on the wall

|Sarah's P.O.V|

"Now I don't understand anything you're possibly saying, Kristen would never do something like this." Katherine defended her daughter like the majority of all parents.

This was starting to get frustrating, and there were things I didn't understand. After seeing the footage of Kristen murdering so many guards at the police station, there was no way it could've been the same young woman.

But she was.

"I know, but Steven Emerson was stabbed over thirteen times in the chest, and the only person who had walked away from the crime was described exactly like Kristen." I started to explain to her. Kristen Hunter isn't innocent.

Katherine shook her head, crossing her arms before looking away and wanting to shed a few tears. I looked over to where she was looking and realized it was a young photo of Kristen when she was in second grade. The photo was decorated in patterns of primary colors with a big font plastered onto the top of the frame that read second grade. That wasn't the same Kristen she knew and raised.

"I want her home. I don't care. It was probably self defense anyways. I never liked that boy. Just please...find her." I knew she was desperate. Her eyes were exhausted, and she had lost some of the brightness in the color of them.

"What didn't you like about Steven?" I asked her.

"Well, he was very reserved, never talked about his family but then again I don't think he even had family which made me feel bad for him in some ways but something was always off about that young man." She then tells me, looking at me with truth written on her eyes.

"Did he have any odd behaviors besides those you described, like was he ever verbally abusive to Kristen? Did he ever hurt her physically?" I began to question her further.

"Oh God no, I mean, not that I know of. Kristen will tell me if something like that was happening. She never keeps anything from me." She shook her head.

"Well, sometimes when things are bad to which there is a threat involved, the victim remains silent before something eventually happens.." I began to explain to her another possibility.

"I know my Kristen, she would never. She always defended that Steven guy. I dont know. I guess love makes you do crazy things. Maybe something did happen, and I just didn't figure it out in time." She defends.

"Katherine.. we will find her. I promise."

"Really. How can you be so sure?"

"We might have already had a good idea of where she is, but she's not the same. She has already killed someone else, and she's a danger to society." The last thing I wanted was for Katherine to get too involved in this and accidentally get herself hurt or possibly worse.

"That's bullshit. You might have her confused with someone completely different." She scoffed in complete denial.

"Miss Hunter, please.." I desperately needed for her to understand why this was so important and dangerous.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, call me Katherine. 'Hunter' was my ex-husband's last name." Her eyes rolled.

"Katherine... we just want to be honest with you. If anything, I'm on your side. I do believe Kristen was just defending herself, but traumatic situations like that night can bring a person to do these things they normally wouldn't do. I just want you to know, I will find your daughter and if anything I will bring her home." I lied. Obviously, I couldn't bring Kristen Hunter home to her.

I had to do what's right and I had to do my job.

"I hope you're right. "

-