Chapter 2

Rian's POV

I pull into the high school I'm speaking at tonight. I feel nervous for this talk for some reason and I don't know why. I've told this story for the past three years. This one was no different than the others.

I walk through the doors of the high school and am greeted by the Principle. I really wasn't paying attention to what he was saying. My mind was in a different place at this point. I don't know why I was so distracted. Then I saw them. Those piercing blue eyes and the dirty blond hair. He turns his head and then our eyes lock. It was only a matter of time before I came face to face with Patrick Kane.

Patrick's POV

I was getting impatient waiting to go into the stupid auditorium. Tazer was excited while I was just so bored. I started looking around then that's when I saw her. I knew those caramel brown eyes anywhere. Those exact eyes that I would get lost in almost 4 years ago. We lock eyes for a second before she looks away and tucks a strand of her long brown hair behind her ear. A look of sadness crossed her face. I fucked it up. I said I would keep in touch and I never did. Truth was, I was scared. I was so scared that once we were out of the little bubble of the Olympics she would see the real me and reject me. She was too good for me. I made a promise to her that I would call and I broke that promise. Truth was, I was scared to fall for Rian Fitzgerald.

Rian's POV

I was backstage getting the mic clipped into my shirt. I pulled out my brothers Bruins jersey from my backpack. He always joked that if he ever died, I was the one who had to take are of he's beloved Bergeron jersey. I laugh to myself about the irony of it all while stroking the last name and number stitched on the back of the jersey. I did my pre speech routine, holding the jersey close, bring my cross to my mouth, and praying to my brother. I was never religious growing up until my brother died. Praying was the only way I was able to talk to him again and feel him. Once I finished, the principle went out on the stage to introduce me.

"Tonight we have a special guest to talk tonight. She is a two time Olympian, representing the USA in women's hockey. Let's give a warm welcome to Rian Fitzgerald!" I shake the nerves out of my body and walk onto the stage to shake the principles hand before he walks off the stage and into the crowd.

"Thank you very much for having me here tonight. some of you may already know who I am but for those of you who don't, my name is Rian Fitzgerald. I am a two time Olympian winning the bronze medal in 2006 and a silver medal in 2010. I'm from a small town outside of Boston, MA. I'm one of 10 kids, but only 9 of us are still alive. I'm not here to talk about hockey or about the Olympics. I'm hear to tell the story of how my life changed in one week." I looked into the crowd and found the blue eyed boy again. He was listening intently and with sorrow embedded in his eyes. "This is the story of how I lost my brother Dan. The one who pushed me for so many years to one day be an Olympic hockey player. He is the reason I am where I am today and talking to all of you tonight."

Patrick's POV

Now I know why management wanted me to come here. Her brother was killed by a drunk driver while he was on his way home from visiting his girlfriend. The dumb bastard was trying to drink himself to death and when that didn't work, he got behind the wheel and hit Rian's brother head on. He died on impact, while the drunk bastard got out alive. He was only 17! Hearing this story made me sick to my stomach. When I met her 4 years ago, she never acted like anything was wrong. She was always happy and never let anything get to her. She was always so upbeat and had a positive look on everything. How someone could go through something like she did at 12 years old and come out like she did was mind boggling. I was pulled out of my thoughts when Tazer punched my arm.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?" I asked angrily rubbing my shoulder.

"I had to get your attention somehow and waving my hand in your face wasn't working!" He retorted.

"What the hell do you want then?" I asked agitated yet again.

"I asked if you wanted to go talk to her. She said she will talk to peo-"

"No! Absolutely not. Not a chance." I cut him off before he could finish his sentence.

"And why not? She could really help you Kaner!" Johnny's eyes were full of worry.

"Because I don't wanna talk to her alright? End of discussion!" I replied with no emotion. Just when I thought I was off the hook, I heard her voice. The one that I have missed all these years,

"Long time no talk huh Pat?" I turned around and I was then face to face with Rian Fitzgerald.