Epilogue

Rian's POV

I look out the window in the kitchen, watching my four kids run around with their father, laughing and smiling while tackling each other to the ground with the our dog jumping around them barking and wagging his tail. I smile to myself watching them play.

"She looks so much like you." Donna says from beside me.

"Only she has her fathers blonde curls and blue eyes." I laugh.

"Yes, but everything else is you. The nose, the smile, even right down to the body language." Donna laughs.

"She is my mini me." I laugh with my mother-in-law.

"I'm proud of you Rian. I know I'm not your mother nor am I trying to be your mother, but I am so proud of you and who you've become. You've come such a long way since I've first met you. And even then, I knew you and Patrick were going to get married. I was just waiting for you to drop all your masks. I couldn't have asked for a better daughter-in-law." Donna smiles at me with tears in her eyes.

"I'm going to stop you from continuing, or else I may end up bawling like a baby." I say laughing through my tears.

"I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you. And how much I love you." Donna pulls me into a hug.

"I love you too." I say into her shoulder, hugging her back. "Thank you. For everything from the past and in the future." I whisper.

"You are my daughter now, Rian. Family takes care of each other." She looks me in the eyes.

"And for the record, you are my mother. You've done a hell of a lot more for me than my own mother. You didn't turn on me when Patrick first got me pregnant like my mother did. You supported us."

"As a mother should. No mother should turn their back on their child for a mistake. In your case, I don't know if I'd count that a mistake. No child should be a mistake. Either way, she shouldn't have turned her back on you." Donna says seriously.

"I know. Thank you for supporting us though. And for stepping in when I needed a mother most." Donna pulls me into a hug.

"You have done so much for my son Rian. I could never turn my back on you." Donna whispers.

Just then the back door opens up.

"Mom can Tyler, Justin, and I take Shadow for a walk?" Our oldest son Adam asks.

"Take Brayden with you too. And make sure Shadow is on his leash." I call after him.

"Ok! We'll be back for supper." Adam calls out opening the door to take our black lab out with his three brothers.

"Hi mummy!" My youngest says running over to me. I bend over and pick her up.

"Hi Abigail." I kiss her forehead.

"Can we go to daddy's practice tomorrow?" Her big blue eyes twinkle.

"I have a better idea." I tell her with a smile.

"What?" She gets exited.

"How about we go to his game instead." I nod my head.

Abby's face lights up at that idea. "Did you hear that daddy? We're coming to your game!" She says excitedly.

"I know princess! And guess who you get to see." Patrick comes over to us.

"Uncle Johnny." Abby starts to blush and get shy.

"And Aunt Lexi's going to be there with Michael." I point out. I watch my daughter blush at the mention of Jonathan and Lexi's son.

"Come on sweetheart! Let's go find an outfit for you to wear tomorrow." Donna says. I put Abby on the ground and watch as she runs to the stairs.

"C'mon Nana! We hafta find a pretty outfit!" She yells for Donna. Donna follows after Abby, leaving Patrick and I laughing in the kitchen.

Patrick walks over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling me close. "Hi buttercup." He whispers, his forehead against mine.

"Hi love." I say with a smile, leaving my hands on his biceps. "I have a surprise for you." I smile up at him.

"What's the surprise?" He matches my smile. I reach into my back pocket and pull out my latest pregnancy test.

"Think we have room for one more in this crazy family?" I show him the positive test.

"You're kidding right?" He takes the test out of my hands to look at it, his smile growing wider and wider as the information sinks in. "Is this for real?" He looks up at me, his eyes twinkle.

"Surprise!" I say with a smile.

Patrick pulls me to him, spinning me around in a circle.

"When are we going to tell everyone?" He asks excitedly.

"Tonight?" I propose.

"After diner?" Pat asks.

"It's a plan." I confirm with a smile.

"I'm so excited." Patrick whispers with his forehead on mine.

"I am too." I whisper back, smiling from ear to ear.

"I love you, Rian Kane."

"I love you, Patrick Kane." I giggle. He connects our lips in a slow, soft kiss. We remain in each other's arms, holding onto each other tightly. The thought of our growing family excites me. Through the years, Patrick has been able to break down every one of my walls, proving his love for me more and more every day. For once in my life, I am happy. The days when I feared Patrick would leave me are gone. Instead, those thoughts are filled of our children, our hockey careers, and the love we have for each other. For the first time in years, everything in my life felt right, and that's all I could ever ask for.

A/N: there it is! The last chapter! I hope you all enjoyed Rian and Patrick's journey together just as much as I did! Thank you for all the support you have given me through this process! You guys are the reason I write and I can't thank you enough! You guys are the best! Love you all so much! ❤️
-Nic

P.S. Did anyone catch onto the fact that they named their only daughter after Princess Abigail from Patrick's stories he would tell Rian? Thought that was a cute touch!