N I N E T E E N

"Were going

"Were going." Valerie stated firmly.
"Um we can't." Lily said.
"Why is that?"
"You told Sirius we were coming! He's obviously going to find another spot so you won't find them."
"Oh Sirius just think I'm messing with him." Valerie said with a smug look.
"Boys." They said in unison.

The two waited until midnight to creep out of the castle and waited for the boys by the whomping willow.
"It's freezing." Complained Lily.
"You're telling me."
"I swear if they don't-"
"Shh. I hear footsteps."
Valerie heard right, as the three boys came trotting towards them, oblivious to their presence.

"Look guys, I told you Valerie was only joking. See, she's not here."
"You better be right about that." Remus grumbled.

Lily stepped into their view, dragging Valerie with her.
"It seems you were wrong, Black." She said.

"Lily!" James said. "What are you doing here?" The words barely came out of his mouth for he looked like he'd be sick.
"Because I can." She answered simply.
"No-no you have to leave before-"

Suddenly, a howl of rage and pain escaped Remus mouth as he transformed.
"Valerie, Lily!" "Go-leave now!" Sirius exclaimed before transforming beside James.

"Your not going to hurt us! I know your not!" Valerie yelled in the direction of A disgruntled Remus.
Sirius barked at them to go, and James butted them with his antlers.
Still, they refused to leave.

Remus seemed to calm down a bit, so Valerie went up to him.
"See, he knows who I am." She said before steadily walking up to him.
Remus was breathing heavily and looked at Valerie as if he had no idea who she was, which in a sense he didn't. He wasn't human, not in that moment.

She turned and motioned for lily to come to her side, but as soon as her her back had turned, Remus dug his claws into her.
"Argh!" Her shirt was ripped, exposing her bare back and the fresh cuts.
"Valerie!" Lily ushered to her side.

Loud barks could be heard from Sirius as he and James attempted to calm him down.
"Valerie, are you okay?" A frantic lily asked.
"I-I thought he-"
"Shh, it's not your fault."
"But-"
"It's not your fault." She repeated firmly.
She gave one last look at Remus. He was raging, running around out of control, and Sirius and James were no match for him in this state.
"I know that wasn't really you." She whispered to herself.