TWENTY THREE

"He what!" Lily gasped as she got ready to head down to breakfast

"He kissed me-or in kissed him, I don't really know. Either way we kissed."
"I honestly can't believe it."
"Believe what? That Sirius and I are together or that I have a boyfriend?"
"You know what I meant." Lily said giving her a knowing look.
"No, I'm actually don't."
Lily rolled her eyes playfully before saying "okay."
"Well I can't believe how stubborn you are when it comes to James."
Lily blushed a deep shade of red, and it was hard to tell if she was angry or embarrassed.

"For the last time. I think James Potter is nothing but an arrogant toe-rag. The only way I would even consider the tiniest chance of liking him is if he was the last person on earth."
"I can arrange that." James said coming out of the boys dormitory.
"Eavesdropping I see. Another bad quality to add to the list." Said lily pursing her lips.
"I'm on a list of yours? How touching." He added cheekily.
Lily grunted loudly, which drew attention to the people in the common room.
"C'mon Valerie. Lily said as she took Valerie's arm. The smell of toerag is getting stronger by the minute."

"You don't have to be so hard on him all the time." Valerie told Lily as they walked out of Herbology the next day.
Lily's pace increased." You try dealing with him every second of the day . Report back to me and tell how you feel then."
"But I do deal with him. Valerie started, picking up her own pace to match Lily's. I deal with him every second of the day, just like you, if you haven't noticed."
"Oh."
"Never mind that, how long does the Herbology essay have to be again?"
"6,000 words."
Valerie tossed her head back and groaned. "Hurray." She said with sarcasm oozing out of every syllable.
"Oh stop it's not that bad." Lily said.
"Yes, for you because you're-well..you!"
"What that's supposed to mean?"
"It means your brilliant." Said Valerie.
"Thanks." Lily gave her a small smile before giving the password to the Fat Lady.

"Droxypox."
"What's a droxypox?" Valerie questioned.
"I don't- how am I supposed to know? Its a password they don't always have to make sense." Lily answered as they took seats by the fireplace.

Valerie was in the middle of her Herbology essay when she caught sight of Sirius.
"Where've you been?"
"Detention." He answered simply.
"What you'd do this time?" Valerie asked, putting aside her essay.
"Set off a dung bomb in McGonagall's class. Nothing big."
"Yes it's certainly a step down from the time you turned Snape's hair blue."
Sirius snorted at the memory. "Speaking of Snivellus-"
"Don't call him that." Lily interrupted him sharply.
"Why do you put up with him? Asked Sirius throwing his hands up. "He's a slimy git."
"Well I'd pick a slimy git over an arrogant toe rag any day." She snapped.
"If you're talking about James-"
"Of course I'm talking about James. I don't know any other arrogant toe rags do I?"
Sirius opened his mouth to retort but was cut off by James.
"Are we fighting about me again?"
"Shut up James this isn't about you!" Sirius yelled and went back to bickering with Lily.

Valerie leaned toward James. "It was about you."
"Then why-"
"Don't ask."