TWENTY SIX

It was the summer before Valerie's seventh and final year of Hogwarts, and the Scott household wouldn't seem to let her forget that

"You need to find a job." Her mother would say.
"None is that silly drawing you do will suffice in the workplace, that's for sure." Her father said.
In fact, Valerie hasn't drawn a single thing in a very long time. Sure she would sketch now and then, but it wasn't a constant hobby anymore. The more she thought about it, the more she realized she missed it. She had been the one to draw out the map her friends and her had been working on since the middle of sixth year. They called it the Marauders map.

Her brother Holden had been married off and so had her sisters. Valerie was surprised to find out her favorite sisters Aurora and Lydia had married men that were extremely stuck up and haughty. But, Aurora and Lydia did seem to enjoy the company of their husbands and they did seem happy, so Valerie wasn't going to be one to medal.

She knew of course that it wouldn't be long until she would be married off, and Sirius knew this too. Sirius had already run away from his family so he wasn't to be bothered about marriage. However Valerie hadn't done such a thing, though she'd considered it many times. If I run away, they can't marry me off. Valerie would tell herself each time she came close to packing her bags and leaving.
But she couldn't bring herself to do it. Part of her wants to leave and run into Sirius's arms so badly. The other half is still waiting for her big sister to come back through the kitchen door and rescue her.

It was just Valerie and her parents that occupied the Scott manor now. Each night was unusually quiet without five other siblings to bicker with. It was so quiet that Valerie was startled by the Sirius's owl.
She untied the letter from its leg and began to read.

Val,
I know we've already talked about this, but if you'd like, your welcome at the Potters. I've talked to Lily and she said your definitely welcome at her house. All you have to do is leave. It's your choice.

Love, Padfoot

Sirius was right, all she had to do was leave, but it wasn't that simple for her as it was for him. He hadn't had an attachment to his home. He hated every aspect of his family, whereas Valerie still loved her siblings. Some of them may have gotten under her skin, but nonetheless she loved them. And even though they no longer lived under the same roof, they would still come back for holidays and such. In a way, this house still meant something to Valerie. But she couldn't just sit there and allow herself to be married off to some ignorant prat.
Valerie made her decision that night.
She was going to Lily's house.