TWENTY

"Valerie, we've got to get you to the hospital wing!" "No!" Valerie said trying to sit up

"No!" Valerie said trying to sit up.
"Be careful!" Lily hissed.
"I need to go."
"what? Valerie this is no time for investigations!"
"She's right. Said Sirius, pulling his clothes back on.

He and James had successfully gotten Remus secured in the whomping willow.
"Sirius, I need to see him."
"Out of the question! Look at you, you're losing blood."
"I'm fine, it's just a scratch."
"Just a scratch?" Scoffed James. He was searching Lily for any wounds she might have herself.  She shoved him muttering that she was fine.
"Val, why do you want to see him?" Asked lily. She was searching her eyes as if to find an answer.

"I need him to know that I don't blame him. That I know he wasn't deliberately trying to hurt me, to hurt anyone. I need him to know. "

She looked to Sirius, hoping he would give her some sign as if to say "I understand."
But he didn't. Instead his face tightened in a mix between fury and pain.
And to her surprise he walked away.

Leaving her with James and Lily who wouldn't dare move.
"What was that about?"
They both shook they're heads in confusion.
"I'll wait with you-you know until he transitions." Lily offered.
"So will I. 'Couldn't leave you here alone now could I?"
"Thanks James." Lily said. And it was a genuine thank you, not her usual snarky remarks.

"I'm gonna do wait by the tree." Valerie said smirking.

She settled herself against the tree. "Well Remus, Lily and James made some progress with their relationship." She said glancing at the place that held her friend.

She waited until morning, just as she said. Lily and James were sprawled out in the grass fast asleep. Valerie looked to see if Sirius had returned but just as she suspected, he hadn't.

She crept into the whomping willow, her heart racing fast. And there he was. Remus, all scratched and bruised from the previous night, was once again the normal teenaged boy she had come to know and love. He wore a pained expression that seemed like it had put in with a permanent sticking charm. Overall, he looked like he'd been to hell and back.

"Remus." She said softly.
"Valerie." He said failing to look up.
"Remus it's okay. I know-"
"No you don't know. You don't know what it feels like."
"That's not what I was going to say." She said still struggling to meet his eyes.
"I was going to say I know you didn't mean to hurt me."