TWENTY ONE

He slowly met her glance, and his eyes were soft as he spoke.
"How do you mean?"
She took this as an opportunity to sit closer to him.
"I know you couldn't have stopped yourself, I know you would never hurt me."
"I wish I could believe that myself."
"In time you will."

"Hey, Sirius, why'd you run off like that last night?" Valerie questioned the next morning.
"I thought you said I was the one who couldn't handle it." She continued with a grin.
He picked at his food and ceased to respond.
"Hey what happened to you last night, did I miss something?"
He tossed her a bitter look and got up, mumbling something about not wanting to be late.
"What was that all about?" Remus asked, taking the seat Sirius just left vacant.

Remus seemed better, but then again, how much better can you be after a night like that?
"No clue." She sighed.
"He'll get over it, whatever it is."
"I hope so."

The day went by and Sirius still wasn't talking to Valerie. She found him indulging in many conversations with different Gryffindors, even Peter and Marianne.
But no to Valerie.

"Hey has he talked to you all today?" Remus asked plopping down on the couch.
"Has he been ignoring you as well?" She scoffed.
"Yeah, he's been talking to everyone else , it's like I don't exist."
"Correction, its like we don't exist."
"Let's not give him that power." Suggested Remus.
"But he's so good at taking it." Valerie whined.
Remus blinked a couple times before bursting into a fit of muffled giggles.
Valerie looked around confused, but then realized what she said.
"Okay bad choice of words."

"Sirius!" Earth to Sirius!" Valerie snapped her fingers in his face during one of there free periods.
"Why've you been ignoring me and Remus?"
"I don't know what your talking about."
"Ah, he speaks!" She clapped her hands together with mock excitement.
"Oh shut up." He snarled before getting up.
"No!" Valerie grabbed his hand, forcing him to sit back down.
"No! You will tell me what's bothering you, because I'm your friend and i don't know what I did wrong. I want to know what I did so I can make it better."

"You want to know what you did wrong?"
"Well isn't that what I just asked?"
He sighed before shifting in his seat.
"You lead me on."
"What?" Valerie asked with furrowed eyebrows.
"You made me think you had feelings for me, when in reality you had them for Remus."
"What-"
"Oh come off it, you went out to lunch with him, you're always talking to him and smiling and laughing. And you chose to stay with him overnight. The signs are all there Valerie, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out."

"Sirius Black, you daft dimbo."