dean winchester || what could have been PART TWO

|| not edited

Dean slows the Impala to a stop and you raise an eyebrow. "An old warehouse? That's where the djinn is? Kind of cliché, isn't it?"

Dean chuckles. "Very." He looks back at the backseat and sees that Sam is sleeping. "Wake up!" he yells, smacking his brother's knee. Sam inhales sharply and jolts awake.

"What the-" He doesn't finish the sentence, as he realizes where he is, who he's with, and why.

"Let's go in," Dean says, the smile fading and a stoic expression taking over his face.

-|-

"Dean, what're we looking for?" demands Sam once you're inside the warehouse.

"Shh!" Dean hisses, his arm shooting out to press you against the wall. You gesture to Sam and he follows suit. Dean's head pokes around the corner, but it snaps back quickly. He cringes and then whispers in your ear, "Go underneath the stairwell. Now." You usher Sam forward and you file under the stairs, your heart pounding with terror and exhilaration. A man with elaborately inked skin turns the corner that you were just standing at and you bite back a sigh of relief that Dean got you out of there.

The man walks towards the stairwell and fear begins to flow through your veins. You look to Dean, who is holding his hand over Sam's mouth to contain any noise that might escape. Dean brings the index finger of his free hand to his lips and you turn back to look at what you assume is the djinn. The djinn comes closer, and now you register brilliant blue eyes, a shade blue that is not natural for an eye color.

Your heart pounds as the djinn nears, and then he begins ascending the staircase. You hold your breath until he is completely up the stairs, then breath, relaxing and slumping against the wall. You glance at Dean and he nods. He pulls his hand away from Sam's mouth and Sam immediately takes in deep, ragged breaths.

"Dean," Sam inhales. "What was that?"

"No time for that. We've gotta scan this place." You and Dean click your flashlights back on and creep out from beneath the staircase, sweeping the room with the artificial light.

Dean's light settles on a filthy woman strung up on an I.V. pole with rope, an I.V. poking out of her arm. You gasp and Sam begins to hyperventilate. But you're curious, and you creep closer, passing Dean. The woman's eyes are open, but they're hazy and aren't focused on anything. She whimpers and moans, and you can make out words.

"Daddy, you're not sick anymore," she murmurs to her father, who isn't really here.

"I don't think she's conscious," you whisper.

"Let's just get out of here," Sam moans, eyes wide with worry. You and Dean ignore him.

"She's not," confirms Dean. "So this must be what the djinn does." He fingers the blood bag that the woman's arm is connected to. "Brings these people here. Puts 'em under a haze. Feeds off 'em till they die. It kept seeing her. I saw her in the restaurant. It must be little snippets of reality."

"Dean?" you ask.

"Hm?"

"So this is happening to you?"

Dean's eyes cloud with a sadness you'd never seen him experience. "Yeah."

-|-
Dean's POV

(Y/N) purses her lips in sympathy, and I can't handle looking at her anymore. I can't look at her and know what I'm about to do to her.

I instead look up and see a singular light bulb dangling from the ceiling.