[AstralShadows] dean winchester || something wild

|| not edited

NOTE: The story takes place when Sam is in hell. Dean's with you, not Lisa.

You had your maps drawn
You had other plans
To hang your hopes on
Every road they let you down felt so wrong
So you found another way

Dean's sobs wake you up.

Again.

You sigh sadly and roll over, softly stroking the man's shoulder. "Dean?" you whisper. "Look at me, baby." He slowly rolls over in bed, his brilliant green eyes reflecting the moonlight and his tears. You scoot closer and wrap your arms around his neck, burying your face in his shoulder. He reluctantly rests his chin on top of your head and you feel his tears slide off of his cheeks and on top of your hair. "Dean, one of these nights, you're going to have to tell me what's wrong."

He sniffs and the tears keep on falling. You sigh, knowing that you're not getting anything out of him tonight. It's quiet for a while, and you've almost drifted back to sleep when you hear Dean speak, his voice cracking at the last word. "My baby brother's dead."

You've got a big heart
The way you see the world
It got you this far
You might have some bruises
And a few of scars
But you know you're gonna be okay

Dean tells you his story; you listen. You know you should be horrified, but somehow you aren't.

He concludes his words with, "And I understand if you want to leave. I'd want to leave. This is too much. I'm too much. I'm not someone who can make you happy, I'm a responsibility. I'm covered in so many scars. So I understand. And I don't want you to go, but you can."

He raises his eyebrows in surprise when you tug his head downwards so that your lips crash together. "You can be okay with me," you whisper, "because I love you for your scars."

Even though you're scared
You're stronger than you know

"You've worked through this before, with John," you tell him softly. "You can do it again. But this time, I'll be there to help you."

If you're lost out where the lights are blinding
Caught in all, the stars are hiding
That's when something wild calls you home, home
If you face the fear that keeps you frozen
Chase the sky into the ocean
That's when something wild calls you home, home

You think about it after, once Dean has fallen asleep with his face buried in your hair. Why aren't you horrified?

Because you love him. And when you love someone, you don't throw it away. Especially when it's Dean. What you have with him is... nothing you've ever experienced before. You've never loved anyone this much, in both senses. He's like your missing piece. He never ceases to bring a smile to your face, and when he needs it, you can make him grin, too. And you and Dean are so reverent and emotional with the way you go about things... but at the same time, you're passionate, and insane, and primal.

And wild.

And that's the rare kind of thing that you fight for.

Sometimes the past can
Make the ground beneath you feel like a quicksand
You don't have to worry
You reach for my hand
And I know you're gonna be okay
You're gonna be okay

Ever since Dean confessed, he's been... lighter.

Happier.

And a small part of you thinks that telling you this and you being there for him has helped him. You wonder if you've helped him start to get over his brother.

Even though you're scared
You're stronger than you know

It's amazing to watch. It's the little things that you notice, that give you hope that Dean is finally happy.

A twinkle in his eyes when he smiles, instead of the hollowness that used to take residence there.

Taking your hand or stringing his arm across your shoulders when you are near.

The new sincerity in his voice whenever he speaks.

The amount of times he thanks you and tells you he loves you.

He is happy, and it makes you jubilant.

If you're lost out where the lights are blinding
Caught in all, the stars are hiding
That's when something wild calls you home, home
If you face the fear that keeps you frozen
Chase the sky into the ocean
That's when something wild calls you home, home

One night, you're lying in bed, alone, and you hear the back door click open.

Your eyes shoot open and you glance at the alarm clock on your bedside table. It's only 10:30. Dean went out, and he doesn't come back until at least 11.

You silently slide out of bed and grab the baseball bat that you keep propped against the wall. Dean always laughs and says that if you want to be safe, use a gun, but you still keep the wooden bat within reach. You tiptoe down the hallway and see the shadow of a man. You press your body against the wall and the man turns the corner.

You swing the baseball bat and Dean curls his hand around it to stop you. "Hey, hey, hey, hey!" he says, laughing a little, lowering the bat and smiling. You cock your head, confused. He wasn't out?

"Where were you?"

Dean's smile fades. "With... my brother. He's alive."

Calls you home
Calls you home
Calls you home
Calls you home

Your eyebrows dip in confusion. "Wha... how?"

He shakes his head, a hint of a smile on his face. "I don't know. But... he wanted me to leave with him."

Your heart plummets. He's leaving?

"But I told him no." He sighs. "You're not mad, are you?"

You search Dean's green eyes for regret, but all you can find is guilt. You shake your head. "Thank you," you whisper, taking a step forward and wrapping your arms around his neck. You hold him in your embrace for a while, so thankful that you've been blessed with this man who insists that you are his family, that family is everything, and that he will always be loyal.

"But Sam's staying?" you ask. "He'd better be," you threaten with a smile.

Dean grins sadly. "He didn't want to. He said... he said he didn't need me. I don't know why, Sammy was never like that."

If you're lost out where the lights are blinding
Caught in all, the stars are hiding
That's when something wild calls you home...

Your heart clenches for Dean. "Well I need you," you say quietly, planting a soft kiss on his full lips. "You're needed, Dean."

He grins, his eyes brimming with tears. "I love you," he murmurs.

You smile. "I love you, too. And so does Sam."

If you're lost out where the lights are blinding
Caught in all, the stars are hiding
That's when something wild calls you home, home
If you face the fear that keeps you frozen
Chase the sky into the ocean
That's when something wild calls you home, home