dean winchester || round here

|| not edited

Step out the front door like a ghost into fog

Where no one notices the contrast of white on white

And in between the moon and you, the angels get a better view
Of the crumbling difference between wrong and right
Well, I walk in the air between the rain
Through myself and back again
Where? I don't know
Maria says she's dying
Through the door, I hear her crying
Why? I don't know

I step into the diner and sweep my eyes across it, soaking in my surroundings. No one looks up at the tinkling bell, signifying that new customers, Dad and I, are here. Everyone's attention stays in the confines of their booths, their menus, the kitchen.

Everyone except one girl, a waitress. The bell on the door sings our arrival, and her wide eyes travel to the sound.

And then they travel to me.

Her dark red lips part in a brief smile, and I want to make that happen again.

Dad notices, as he does most things. He walks over to an empty table, right next to where she stands, and seats himself. I follow. Dad doesn't comment or lecture me for watching her as she bustles across the diner, jotting down orders and serving customers. When she finally begins to approach our table, Dad rises from his seat across from mine.

"I gotta use the John."

He is gone, and she is here, her pen poised over her notebook, waiting for me to speak. I scramble for something smooth, something charming for me to say, but I come up empty.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

I manage to draw out her white-teethed grin.

"I don't believe in angels," she says in a soft voice, glancing down and tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. I notice that her smile doesn't fade.

"Well," I continue with a flirtatious smile. "Most people don't seem to believe in themselves very much."

Round here, we always stand up straight
Round here, something radiates

I watch her all night. I can't help but stare while I finish my meal. I can't tear my eyes away from her as Dad fills me in on the case we're working. I know he knows that I'm not listening, but he doesn't correct me.

Something about her is neon, glowing at me.

Something about her makes me want her, badly.

Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand
She said she'd like to meet a boy who looked like Elvis
And she walks along the edge where the ocean meets the land
Just like she's walking along the wire in a circus
She parks her car outside my house and
Takes her clothes off, says she's close to understanding Jesus
And she knows she's more than just a little misunderstood
She has trouble acting normal when she's nervous

When she drops the check off at the table, I work up the courage to speak to her again.

"I've passed through this town a few times over the years, but I've never seen you. What's your story?"

She smiles as she recalls her past. "I'm from Tennessee. I wanted to hang in the sky with the stars, and see where the sea meets the sky."

I've never heard anyone talk like that, and it only captivates me more. I chuckle lightly. "Well, sweetheart, California's the place to do it."

Her lips part in the way that I'm realizing that I love, and she takes Dad's credit card. She walks away, and I think I feel her eyes on me.

She comes back with Dad's card and a napkin in hand. She hands Dad the credit card, and the napkin to me. Her fingertips brush against mine, and I feel a heat pulsing off of her.