castiel || amnesia

|| not edited

- i drove past all the places -
- we used to hang out getting wasted -

It was at midnight, in the winter, on a beach in California that you realized he loved you.

You giggled at the angel's joke, tipping the neck of your beer bottle towards him. "That's a good one, Feathers," you teased, your cheeks flushed from the cold, from your drink, and from the feelings you were trying to hide. As you kept drinking, though, it kept getting harder and harder.

Castiel's cheeks were rosy and pink as well and he chuckled lightly at your nickname for him. He took a sip of his own drink before saying, "I do wish you'd use my real name, (Y/N). The way it rolls off your tongue makes me feel so warm inside."

You laugh a bubbly little laugh. "That, Castiel, is the liquor talking."

Cas only smiled a knowing smile before his face lit up a bit. You raised a questioning eyebrow as he pulled a small notebook and a ballpoint pen out of the pocket of his trenchcoat. He ignored your questioning looks and began to write something on the first page.

You rose from the piece of driftwood you'd been sitting on and walked around the campfire to the piece of wood parallel to your former perch, where Cas sat, still writing. You peeked over his shoulder in hopes to catch a glimpse of his swooping handwriting.

"Her accent made me believe that my parents had been saying my name wrong since birth."

You were taken aback by the angel's sudden profound and poetic talent. "What brought that on, Cas?" you asked, not even noticing that you didn't call him Feathers, the way you usually do. 

Cas shrugged and folded up his little notebook, tucking it and the pen back into his coat. "I've noticed that humans often use poetry to express their feelings. I've been reading a lot of it lately. I enjoyed it so much that I decided I should start trying to write some." The angel grinned sheepishly. "I don't think I'm very good at it yet."

You laughed in astonishment at the self-deprecating comment. "Cas!" you breathed, surprised at this new side of the angel and the feelings bubbling up inside you. "You're better than 'good.'"

- i thought about our last kiss -
- how it felt, the way it tasted -

"Are you certain you'll be alright without me?"

You smiled at your boyfriend's concern for you. "Babe, I'll be fine. I've got the Winchesters." You grinned flirtatiously at Cas and crossed the floor of your shared bedroom at the bunker. "I don't always need you for protection."

Castiel smiled as you brought your slender hand to his stubbly cheek and guided his face down so that his lips met yours. 

"But that doesn't mean I won't always need you for other things," you added playfully.

Cas grinned and wrapped his arms around your waist, lifting you up and kissing you while you were hoisted in the air. You giggled at the sensation and giggled through the kiss.

"I'll always be there," he promised you, setting you down and stroking your hair. "Always."

- and even though your friends tell me you're doing fine -

"Please," I beg, but Charlie glares back at me.

"You can't see her," she tells me, her voice ice cold. The words send chills down my spine and I can't help but wonder if it's true. If I'll never see her again.