11

MAKENNA

"I wonder why that is. Oh, I know, it's because you won't tell me a fucking thing about your past," he yelled.

"You promised me Kaden," I said.

"Fuck the promise. You're right, I'm tired of all the lies, all the secrets. Come back to me when you get over whatever daddy issues you have."

With that, I slapped him. His perfect face now had a red outline of my hand, each of my five fingers visible.

"Fuck you," I said

I turned around and stormed out. He knew nothing, nothing about me and yet he thought it was okay to say that. The one thing he did know, was that my dad was dead and he used it against me.

"Shit Mak, I'm sorry," he said from behind me.

He grabbed my wrist, pulling me back. I yanked my hand away from him, punching him straight in the jaw.

"Don't you dare touch me," I said.

I walked out of the locker room, Daniel standing by waiting. He looked at me with a sad face, he heard it all.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Just take me home," I said.

"Makenna," Kaden said from behind me.

"Just leave me alone Kaden," I said, my voice calm.

"Kenz," Danny said.

"Just take me home," I snapped.

He nodded, leading me away from Kaden and towards his car. When he pulled up at the curb of my house, he looked at me.

"Kenz, are you okay?" he asked.

"No, but I will be. When aren't I right?" I said with a small smile.

I unlocked his car door and walked up to my porch. My mom still wasn't back from her business trip, and I couldn't help but feel like she was avoiding me. I unlocked the front door, closing it behind me.

I walked into out kitchen and opened the liquor cabinet. This was a bad idea, I knew it was, but I didn't care. I grabbed a bottle of bourbon and pulled the cap off. I took a swig and walked up the stairs.

I jumped onto the bed, a bottle of bourbon bringing me comfort, the same way my own mother used to. Except alcohol would never be mad at me, or resent me, or avoid me for that matter.

KADEN

I was an asshole to her, I knew that. I was just so angry. I wanted her to feel what I was feeling, but I never meant to hurt her like that.

I drove to her house, then climbed up to her balcony. I grabbed the door handle, but it was locked. The one time she actually locks her damn door, is the only time I need to see her.

The door suddenly opened, she stood there in a T-shirt and underwear, a bottle of Jack Daniels in her hand. She closed the door on me, but didn't lock it behind her.

I walked into her dark room, seeing that she was already in her bed. There was one empty bottle of bourbon and another empty bottle of tequila.

"They weren't all full, I just finished them off," she slurred.

"Mak," I said quietly. I reached and grabbed the bottle out of her hands.

"The one thing I told you, the one thing, you used against me," she said quietly.

"I'm sorry. I was mad and I didn't mean it. I'm not sure what he meant to you, but I'm sure you loved him," I said.

"I did."